Technicians will carry out riparian, erosion and sediment, and fish passage assessments in the Seebach (McGregor) watershed, and elsewhere in the Prince George Forest District, using basic field equipment including measuring tape, clinometer, rod and level etc. to assess watershed condition in designated Fisheries Sensitive Watersheds. The field assessments will be carried out by a two-person crew, and training will be provided in current Forest and Range Evaluation Program (FREP) assessment protocols by Ministry of Forest, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development staff. Data entry and assisting with report writing may be part of the job activities.
Candidates are required to meet the following qualifications:
- Graduate of, or be enrolled in, a post-secondary degree/diploma program in biological sciences, natural resource conservation/management or equivalent;
- Possess basic field data collection skills and ability to complete field data sheets consistently and accurately;
- Experience working or camping in remote locations;
- Be physically fit in order to conduct strenuous field surveys over varying terrain and through water;
- Ability to orient in a wilderness setting using GPS and/or iPad with geo-referenced maps;
- possess a valid class 5 drivers licence
- Competent and safe driver able to navigate large 4x4 vehicle on resource roads for long distances.
- Experience using radios and check-in systems and following other safety protocols while in remote locations.
- Possess a valid WCB level 1 first aid certificate or higher;
Preference may be given to candidates that meet these additional qualifications:
- Possess an electrofishing certificate;
- Familiarity assessing riparian and aquatic habitat attributes in the field;
- Experience using ArcMap GIS software
- Please submit copies of these certificates and any other pertinent and current certificates with your application.
Wage: $23 - $25 per hour (commensurate on experience)
Term: Mid May – Late September, 2019
Location: Prince George, B.C.
Closing date for application: Friday April 26th, 2019 Noon
Positions are dependent on confirmed funding which is expected by the closing date.
To apply for this job:
Go to bccf.com and apply through website (*alternate contact below). Include a cover letter and a complete resume, including copies of relevant certifications, 3 references with contact information, and clearly display how you meet the above job requirements. Ensure your name is included in the attached file title(s). Only those that are chosen for interviews will be contacted.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.