Associate Director, Environmental and Social Due Diligence
AECOM’s International Environmental & Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) Practice Area is looking to recruit a Lenders E&S Due Diligence (ESDD)/ ESIA professional with good international experience to join our London-based team. In particular, we are looking for an individual who is able to further grow and develop our sustainable finance capabilities with experience working with a variety of financial institutions across a range of sectors.
The successful candidate will have well established relationships with lender organisations and a track-record of successfully winning work and delivering services to lenders; including ESDD, E&S Action Plans, E&S monitoring - as well as management of ESIAs in key sectors such as water, infrastructure, oil and gas, power and mining.
AECOM’s reputation for ESIA and our provision of support to lenders throughout the finance cycle is second to none and we are involved in some of the world’s most challenging and complex projects. We are looking for someone that will be able to take a key role in developing client relationships as well as project delivery within a vibrant and diverse team, helping us to continue to deliver a high quality service to both project sponsors and lenders.
Our work helps clients deliver their projects in environmentally and socially sustainable ways, leading to better outcomes for projects and communities and in compliance with E&S performance requirements including those of the IFC, EBRD, AfDB, Equator Principles and OECD Common Approaches. Our staff gain experience on some of the world’s largest and most challenging projects, working with a diversity of clients and communities in different countries and across many sectors.
Working as either a leader of a small multidisciplinary team, or directly for clients, you will take a lead in the coordination and delivery of lender-related services. This will include both ESIAs and ESDD-related projects for project sponsors and lenders, covering a range of activities from initial due diligence to ongoing project monitoring and/or implementation of environmental and social management systems for projects or funders.
Our UK Environment & Planning (E&P) business comprises over 200 people across approximately 20 offices and we work closely with colleagues in Environmental Disciplines (Air Quality, Ecology, GIS, Heritage, Landscape etc.) as well as Transport, Water and other parts of the business.
The international ESIA Practice Area within E&P includes environmental and social specialists, working alongside other technical disciplines such as acoustics, air quality, biodiversity, climate change, cultural heritage, etc. Our ESDD/ ESIA specialists perform the full range of consulting services for international projects, including ESIAs, ESDD and audits. Our geographical areas of focus are Africa (including francophone countries), Middle East and Central/ Eastern Europe.
The following provides a sample of our recent and current projects:
- ESDD of mining projects in sub-Saharan Africa
- ESDD of a petrochemical project in Uzbekistan
- Construction phase lenders’ monitoring for an oil pipeline in Kenya
- ESAP monitoring of a petrochemical project in Egypt
- ESIA for a new port development in Senegal
- ESIA services for major infrastructure projects in Gabon
- E&S post-permitting support in Mozambique
- Resettlement Action Plans for major mining and oil and gas projects in sub-Saharan Africa, including advice on FPIC.
- Livelihood Restoration Plans for renewable energy projects in Ghana and Turkey.
You will be responsible for the development of our services to lenders and project sponsors seeking international finance. Working either directly for clients, or as leader of small teams during project delivery, you will support the wider development of AECOM’s work with lenders as part of the ESIA Practice Area.
- Maintaining a client-facing role with specific responsibility to develop work with international financial institutions, project sponsors and funds.
- Contributing specialist technical knowledge on sustainable financing standards (IFC Equator Principles, OECD Common Approaches, EBRD, AfDB, PRI etc.).
- Providing mentorship and guidance to more junior staff.
- Managing the delivery of ESDD and ESIA projects to ensure projects are delivered on time and to the highest standard.
- Understanding and implementing project management principles and fully appreciating the need to work within project budgets.
- Leading preparation of project documents including ESDD Reports, ESAPs, ESMSs as well as supplementary technical studies in accordance with project timescales.
- Evaluating compliance of projects with both National Standards as well as those adopted by the major international lenders (eg IFC and EBRD).
- Coordinating and conducting workshops with multiple lenders / ECAs.
- Assisting and advising project sponsors on meeting the standards of international lenders.
- Coordinating and managing technical specialists (e.g. covering climate change, ecosystems services, social development) and coordinating their contributions to project deliverables.
- Acting as a proficient project manager, including coordination and financial management of projects.
- Supporting business development through engaging with clients and assisting in the preparation of tenders, looking to continuously improve our service offering for clients.
- Understanding and complying with quality and health and safety requirements and ensuring these are addressed throughout a project.
- You must have international experience in lender-related E&S services and ESIA, including experience in project assessment and evaluation against international standards, such as the IFC Performance Standards, Equator Principles, the World Bank Environmental and Social Framework (ESF), the African Development Bank Integrated Safeguards System and/or European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) Performance Requirements.
- You will have good communication skills both verbal and written, including demonstrable experience developing concise written reports.
- The successful candidate would ideally have a post-graduate qualification in environmental management or social development or another relevant discipline.
- Candidates with a relevant under-graduate degree and a comprehensive level of practical experience will also be considered.
Your benefits will include:
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you’ll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days’ annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You’ll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you’re a member of the Reserve Forces you’ll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future . Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world , but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Job Category Sciences
Business Line Environment
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 213485BR
Clearance Required No
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.