Entry Level Groundwater Modeler
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions has an exciting career opportunity in our Hydrogeology Group for an Entry Level Groundwater Modeler. This position will be based in Burlington or Mississauga and will be part of our existing modelling group, reporting to our Senior Hydrogeologist Lead based in Burlington. As part of the work you would be expected to work with other disciplines such as hydrologists, aquatic biologists, permitting specialists, geochemists, water resources engineers and geotechnical engineers.
The successful candidate will be working with a highly motivated team of professionals delivering quality services on technically challenging projects located across Canada. While the primary component of the work is groundwater modelling, you will also be required to undertake data analysis and some reporting tasks. The job will also provide an opportunity to broaden your experience with field work, including single well response and pumping tests, flow monitoring, drilling, and the use of specialty data collection techniques. You would also be given the opportunity to develop project management skills over time. Wood would provide mentorship and on the job training opportunities.
- In conjunction with experienced modelers, develop and apply analytical and numerical groundwater models as required to support environmental impact assessments, regional groundwater resource evaluations, mine dewatering planning and optimization, and municipal water supply projects
- Work collaboratively with members of the Hydrogeology Group and team members from other internal business lines and offices, as well as external sub-contractors/consultants, and clients
- Evaluate and interpret data including geology, hydrogeology, and groundwater chemistry as part of the conceptual model development process
- Contribute to the development of proposals for new work, both internally to other offices and internal business lines, and externally to potential and existing clients
- Opportunities to collaborate with Wood teams across Ontario and sometimes across Canada and internationally
Skills / Qualifications
- Undergraduate Degree in Earth Sciences/Geology, Environmental Sciences or Civil/Geological/Environmental Engineering with a specialization in groundwater modelling through course work or undergraduate projects/thesis is preferred; candidates with strong analytical and quantitative skills with other degrees having a strong quantitative component such as physics or applied mathematics will also be considered
- A post-graduate degree (M.Sc., Ph.D.) in Engineering, Hydrogeology or related discipline with a thesis with a significant modelling component is required
- Experience with industry-standard numerical modelling codes for simulation of groundwater flow is essential to the position; at least one of USGS MODFLOW, FEFLOW, HydroGeoSphere, MIKE SHE
- Programming experience with one of the following Fortran, MS VBA, and Python
- Experience with geological modelling software (e.g. Leapfrog, EVS) is an asset
- Experience with coupled surface water – groundwater modelling is an asset
- Experience of parameter estimation and uncertainty analysis (i.e. PEST) is also desirable
- Registered or eligible for registration as a P.Geo. or P.Eng. in Ontario, once reaching the required level of experience
- Some consulting experience in hydrogeology is an asset
- Strong technical, verbal, and written communication skills (English) are required
- Spanish or French would be an asset
- Some technical report and/or document writing experience is an asset
- Competency with MS Office suite of applications is required
- Ability to work independently in both office and field environments and demonstrate strong attention to detail and organization skills
- Be self-motivated and a team player
- Valid Class G Ontario Driver’s License
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Join the Talent Community
Interested in working for Wood? Take the first step today by joining our talent community. By joining the community, your chances of matching to the right role are increased, as our recruiters search the community daily to match open positions with member profiles.
If you can’t see the perfect role advertised online, the talent community is the best way to keep up to date with job opportunities and events relevant to you.
Click here to join today!