Job Email id:
28949919_Advertisment Urban Wash.doc
CONTENT OF TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR CONSULTANTS/INDIVIDUAL CONTRACTORS
Urban WASH Consultant for Uttar Pradesh
Engagement of Individual Contractor
1. BACKGROUND / RATIONALE
Uttar Pradesh is one of the most densely populous state of India with a population of more than 220 million people. The state has made substantial progress on improving sanitation coverage in the rural areas; as per the MDWS report, all 75 districts have self- declared open defecation free (ODF). Similarly, Swajal initiative is being implemented in the state to improve access to safe water supply of poor population in the state.
More than 23 % of the state population lives in urban and peri-urban areas. WASH challenges in the urban and peri-urban areas are different from the rural areas. While indiscriminate dumping of solid waste in peri-urban areas is emerging as a major challenge, urban areas are still facing challenges of safely managing faecal sludge as well as solid waste. As per a state government’s website there are at least 653 urban local bodies in the state of UP. Number of Census towns is in thousands. As per a recent report about 47% of households in urban cities in UP use onsite sanitation systems such as septic tanks compared to 28% with sewer connections; similarly, 34 out of the 60 AMRUT cities have zero efficiency regarding collection and treatment of sewage. In the absence of designated site for disposal, the emptied faecal sludge ends up in open drains/ nullahs/open fields, which eventually lead to polluting the water resources and the local environment.
In UP, UNICEF provides technical assistance to the state government, with a focus on institutional strengthening to improve WASH service delivery. Having successfully contributed to UP’s journey towards ODF, UNICEF intends to expand its technical assistance to the GoUP in improving access to safely managed WASH services in urban and peri-urban areas. While key strategy is to demonstrate sustainable models and supporting the GoUp in taking such models to scale in UP, detailed strategy for urban WASH in UP is being developed at the moment.
2. PURPOSE OF ASSIGNMENT
UNICEF intends to recruit a person to analyse emerging trends of WASH services in urban and peri-urban areas and produce high end reports and contribute to development of capacity building strategy and interventions with special attention to peri-urban areas. The consultant will further support knowledge management, facilitate programme implementation, prepare reports and case studies and support advocacy processes.
3. PROGRAMME AREA AND SPECIFIC PROJECT AREA
WASH Uttar Pradesh, Output 1 (Sanitation), 3.a.a: By 2022 Government and partners are able to plan and implement the delivery of equitable, gender responsive, and quality hygiene and safe sanitation services at scale, for households in the most vulnerable and deprived communities.
- The key objectives of the assignments are:
- Strengthening analysis, documentation (qualitative and quantitative) and situation analysis pertaining to urban and peri-urban WASH in UP
- Strengthening capacity of the state government and districts in planning and implementation of effective urban/peri-urban WASH interventions
- Designing and facilitating state level workshops on thematic issues as per need
- Documenting human interest/case stories for scaling up emerging best practices
5. MAJOR TASKS TO BE ACCOMPLISHED
Followings are the major tasks consultant is expected to accomplish during the one-year assignment period.
- Conduct literature review, analyze data and prepare/update situation analysis reports for sharing with GoUP and UNICEF team
- Lead programme design activities under direction of and in consultation with UNICEF WASH Specialist/Officers
- Lead processes for design and facilitation of state and district level workshops and events as per need
- Monitor ongoing processes in the field and develop monthly progress summaries for sharing with senior management
- Build capacity of GoUP team at state/district level on peri-urban WASH issues
- Collect/draft human interest stories and bringing in verifying mechanism in place at the district level
- Contribute to review/adapt different social and behavior change (SBCC) initiatives, IEC/training materials/tools for capacity buildings
- Participate in the joint review meeting at state/divisional/district level