Ukraine nationals: National Consultant to the Environment Committee
Ukraine has a long list of environmental reform priorities. However, the speed of the reforms in the area of sustainable energy and environment (SEE) is slowed down by the difficulties in adopting the needed legislation related to the capacity of the Parliament and a large number of low-quality legal initiatives. The recent legislation breakthroughs and the existing leadership in the Government and Parliament in this area could be jeopardized by the anticipated 2019 elections.
To speed up the sustainable energy and environment (SEE) related reforms and ensure representation of the SEE issues in the programmes of the next President and the next Parliament, UNDP seeks to improve the capacity of the Parliament of Ukraine and enhance environmental advocacy among politicians, mass media and the public.
The Project aims to support the Parliament members and the relevant Parliament Committees (specifically, on Environmental Policy, Nature Resources Utilization and Elimination of the Consequences of Chornobyl Catastrophe and on Fuel and Energy Complex, Nuclear Policy and Nuclear Safety) with quality analytical support on the legislation making, organizing stakeholders’ consultations, round tables, development of communication products, and engagement of various stakeholders into the SEE issues.
The analytical support envisioned by the Project will cover a wide range of issues in SEE area, including but not limited to: climate change mitigation and adaption; energy efficiency; waste management; natural resources management; environmental pollution, etc. A special attention will be made on mitigating negative environmental consequences of the ongoing military conflict in the east of Ukraine, as well as to the greening of the development path of the Donetsk and Luhansk regions. The overall work of the Secretariat will be based on the sustainable development principles and where possible and necessary will link with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
To ensure the implementation of the Project and day-to-day advisory support to the Parliament on SEE policy UNDP is seeking to hire a National Consultant to provide analytical and expert support to the Parliamentary Committee on Environmental Policy, Nature Resources Utilization and Elimination of the Consequences of Chornobyl Catastrophe, its members and staff on the issues of environment and sustainable development.
de support in drafting expert conclusions and recommendations and draft legislation conclusions and other legislation supporting documents;
• Provide support on preparation and conducting secretariat and committee meetings and meetings with MPs and interested stakeholders;
• Conduct the information and data searches related to draft legislation under secretariat mandate;
• Provide support on day-to-day communication within the mandate of the secretariat;
To ensure the delivery of the above tasks, the Consultant will:
- Liaise and ensure constant communication/coordination with UNDP project team regarding all aspects of the assignment;
- Coordinate the work with the Team Lead/Head of Secretariat as well as other experts supporting the Parliament;
- Submit all the deliverables for review, comments and approval to UNDP project team as requested.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least Master’s / Specialist’s degree in Environment, Ecology, Environmental Management, Public Administration, Law or other relevant studies;
- At least 3 years of experience working with analysis of legislation;
- At least 1 year of working experience in the field of environment;
- At least 1 year of prior experience working with ministries, state agencies, Parliament.
- Fluency in Ukrainian and English is required.
DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WHEN SUBMITTING THE PROPOSALS
Applicants shall submit the following documents:
- Letter of interest/proposal, explaining why the applicant considers him- or herself the most suitable for the work.
- Personal CV or P11, including information about past experience in similar projects / assignments and contact details for referees.
- Financial proposal
- Duly accomplished Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability using the template provided by UNDP