Senior Media Officer
Salary: Salary £33,000 with excellent benefits
Want to make the world a better place? Want to use your cracking news judgement and PR skills to help make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone everywhere? Want to work with an award winning media team in one of the UK's Best Workplaces™ acknowledged by its ranking in 2018's Great Place to Work
Our Senior Media Officer will provide expert media handling advice and carry out media work, including protection and promotion of WaterAid reputation and issues in the media, both in the UK and internationally.
Working within the media team, the Senior Media Officer will:
- Drive WaterAid's communications work with exciting, innovative and effective media strategies for fundraising appeals, celebrity support, advocacy campaigns and policy work and key corporate partnerships, both proactively and reactively as appropriate
- Advise WaterAid staff up to the Chief Executive (in consultation with the relevant manager or Global Head of Media) on communicating through the media, and on the risks and opportunities of external messaging.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with relevant journalists, broadcasters and commentators in the local, UK and international media and widen interest in WaterAid's work; write copy as required for print and web outlets, in-house or external, and join our 24/7 on-call rota.
To be successful, you'll need to have:
- Proven experience as a journalist, in a PR agency or in an in-house press office;
- Proven ability to think 'outside the box' to generate a wide range of media coverage through proactive media campaigns, or equivalent high-profile work as a journalist;
- Strong understanding of how the media can be used as an influencing tool, whether to encourage fundraising and engagement or influence decision makers.
We're looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, who have an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also have the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best.
Visit the WaterAid careers page for a full job pack.
WaterAid benefits include:
- 36 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)
- Option to buy an extra 5 days annual leave
- We offer a generous pension plan with employer contribution of up to 10%
- Season Ticket Loans
- Free Annual eye tests
- Pay as you Learn & Give as You Earn schemes
- Flexible working conditions, including the opportunity for part-time work and home working up to 2 days a week
We are unable to provide sponsorship for this post. In order to apply for this post, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the UK.
Please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter.
Applications will close one minute before midnight on 24th April 2019. Availability for interview is required w/c 6th May 2019
This is 9-12 month maternity cover
Salary £33,000 with excellent benefits
WaterAid is fully committed to protecting those with whom it comes into contact in WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate preemployment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities, disability-confident employer and committed to achieving the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality.