Resident Project Manager VEI WaterWorX
About VEI (www.vei.nl)
Five Dutch drinking water companies - Vitens, Evides Waterbedrijf, WML, Watercompany Groningen and Brabant Water – share their expertise via VEI with colleague water authorities around the world. Through VEI, they are committed to achieving Sustainable Development Goal 6 of the United Nations: universal sustainable water services.
About the WaterWorX program (www.vei.nl/projects/waterworx)
VEI is since 2017 engaged in a public-private collaboration (2017-2030) with the Netherlands’ Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and peer utilities in Africa, Asia and Latin America, to contribute to increased access to sustainable water services. The name of this collaboration is WaterWorX (WWX). WWX aims to increase sustainable access to drinking water to 10 million people in 2030. Through Water Operator Partnerships (WOPs) between Dutch and local water companies, WWX is working on long term financial sustainable water services by improving the daily operation and maintenance of local water companies. One of these WOPs is with the Southern Region Water Board (SRWB) in Zomba, Malawi, to which this vacancy refers.
The role of the Resident Project Manager
The RPM will be overall responsible for the management and implementation of the assigned WWX WOP project in Zomba, Malawi; this includes three major components
1. Project management
- Coordinate and monitor the quality of the project, in line with project requirements and VEI standards and requirements.
- Mobilize counterpart to take part in the project and maximize the added value of short term expert inputs by development of TORs, and coaching
- Steer, manage, monitor and report on projects activities and progress, in line with project objectives, donor requirements, VEI KPIs and frameworks and including monitor and evaluation indicators, time line, budget and contract management, and in consultation with Regional Team Leader and where needed with other VEI colleagues.
- Financial project management, in close consultation with the VEI regional controller.
- Contribute to the overall success of the WWX program
2. Project operations
- Provide expert advice to the local water operator SRWB.
- Develop staffing plan, appraise, coach and motivate project staff and short termers of VEI in order to bring about lasting impact on operational performance
- Ensure project focus on the improvement of utility KPIs
3. Business Development and Communication
- Represent VEI on partner(s) level, build relationships with external stakeholders, leverage these networks for developing, implementing and up-scaling of the project.
- Identify acquisition opportunities and mobilize resources in collaboration with the Regional Team Leader (RTL)
Associated result areas and main activities:
- Overal project management (2)
- Financial project management (2)
- Project monitoring and reporting (2)
- Operational management (2)
- Knowledge transfer (2)
- Stakeholder management (3)
Required educational level and experience:
- Academic work and reflection level, at least a Bachelor or equivalent degree in a relevant direction;
- Knowledge of and at least 3 years of experience in the operations of a water company;
- At least 2 years of management experience and preferably working exposure in Malawi;
- Excellent oral and written command of professional English). Basic knowledge of Chichewa is highly appreciated
- Project management skills (financial and administrative reporting, guide STEs)
- Good understanding of cultural diversity
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong result oriented character
Competences in the field of:
- Focus on results
- Customer orientation
- Planning and organizing
- People Management
The RPM will be positioned in Zomba, Malawi (Southern Region Water Board).
Place in the Organization:
The Resident Project Manager (RPM) reports to the Regional Team Leader VEI.
The working hours are 32 to 40 hours per week following the local working hours in the office and following the local national holidays.
Information can be obtained from Siemen Veenstra (regional manager Central Africa, )
Please sent your résumé and motivation letter before April 20th, 2019 to
Specific background information on the assignment as RPM.