Environmental and Social Safeguards Specialist (m/f/d): Climate Resilient Infrastructure in the River Plate Basin (Technical Assistance to FONPLATA Regional Framework Loan)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organization operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organization’s business area - GIZ International Services - is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services participates in the European Investment Bank (EIB) tender procedure “Technical Assistance to FONPLATA Regional Framework Loan”.
FONPLATA is a multilateral financial organization formed by Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay. Its main objective is to finance projects, especially in vulnerable urban districts, rural areas and border regions that contribute to economic and social growth of its member countries in the River Plate Basin.
EIB and FONPLATA signed an agreement on a project to finance the investments of local, regional and national authorities in the River Plate to promote regional development in the River Plate Basin area, with a particular focus on enhancing climate resilience in physical infrastructure, socio-environmental, economic and productive development in disadvantaged border areas. This project will be supported by a Technical Assistance (TA), which is the subject of the present tender procedure.
The overall objective of the TA is to upgrade FONPLATA’s policies and procedures so as they are in line of international accepted standards and to support FONPLATA in the implementation of EIB’s projects to ensure they meet EIB required standards and comply with EIB contract terms and conditions. Therefore, the EIB is programming to establish TA for the PIU in charge of the Bank’s project and as reference to the upgrade of the whole institution.
Particularly, the TA will a) support the FONPLATA’s Project Implementation Unit (PIU); b) provide capacity and institutional building to FONPLATA and implementers; c) ensure compliance of projects with EIB procurement and financial guidelines as well as with the Environmental and Social standards; d) assist final beneficiaries as required. The TA will also promote climate resilience awareness in the region and will target the development of programmes and schemes that comprise climate action components.
The Environmental and Social Safeguards Specialist will support FONPLATA’s Environmental Unit to ensure EIB environmental and social standards are met during preparation and implementation of EIB financed projects and will report to the PIU. He or she will also support FONPLATA in the strengthening of environmental and social safeguards in their internal procedures. The expert will be based in FONPLATA, in Santa Cruz, Bolivia with frequent travelling to FONPLATA member countries.
The following tasks are expected:
- Support the final beneficiaries to conduct environmental due diligence in accordance with EIB standards through combination of field, deskwork and meaningful consultation with project affected persons and communities as part of the safeguard documentation.
- Under the guidance of the environmental and social international expert, prepare social and environmental sections of EIB documents, including project fiches and monitoring reports.
- Review project Environmental Assessment to ensure they are in accordance with EIB standards
- Support the international expert in identification of training needs of FONPLATA operational staff and final beneficiaries in the area of environment and social safeguards and participate in the delivery of trainings.
- Support FONPLATA in the integration of environmental and social standards in its internal process of identification, appraisal and implementation of projects.
- Conduct with the final beneficiary field supervision missions as required (but at least 2 a year) for all EIB finance projects to ensure compliance with EMP.
- Assist FONPLATA communication team in complying with EIB’s disclosure requirements.
- Prepare Environmental Management Plan (EMP) as part of the bidding documents of EIB financed projects
- Support the international environmental and social expert in other assigned tasks as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- Master’s Degree in Environmental Engineering, Biology, Sociology, Anthropology or equivalent;
- Fluency in Spanish and working knowledge of English. Knowledge of Portuguese would be an advantage
- Computer literacy including ability to use the advanced functions of MS Office to create reports and customised spreadsheets for financial analysis and management reporting purposes.
General Professional Experience
- At least 3 years of experience in the field of environment and social safeguards for infrastructure development projects.
- Experience with development and monitoring of environmental management plans.
- Experience in consultation with vulnerable groups and development and monitoring of social management and gender plans.
Specific Professional Experience
- Experience in multi-sector projects with preferably at least two different aspects of urban and regional development (social infrastructure, energy and energy efficiency, water, waste, transport, etc.).
- Experience working in at least 3 projects in FONPLATA’s countries with regards to environmental and social issues.
- Knowledge of IFIs environmental and social policies, standards and guidelines in the areas would be an advantage.
- Experience working with Multilateral Development Banks would be an advantage.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Please send us an updated CV in EuropeAid / European Commission format in English.
Part-time work (minimum 90%) is possible.
- We are a global service provider within the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. We offer you the opportunity to deploy your technical know-how at one of our locations in more than 130 countries.
- Diversity and respect are key elements of our corporate culture: GIZ promotes and supports every individual and in this way safeguards the individual opportunities for all employees, irrespective of sex, nationality or religion. Naturally, our management team is made up of both men and women.
- You will receive a medical check-up, as well as detailed advice on precautionary measures, vaccinations and malaria prevention. Every two years, you and your accompanying family members will receive a precautionary check-up. The medical service is available in emergencies for employees domiciled in Germany. It also provides advice for ergonomically designed workplaces.
- If you are required to work abroad for a period of time, you will receive an overseas supplement as reimbursement for your additional expenses. The amount of the overseas supplement depends on where you are located.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
+49 6196 79-3039