Project Management and Monitoring Specialist (m/f/d): Climate Resilient Infrastructure in the River Plate Basin (Technical Assistance to FONPLATA Regional Framework Loan)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organization operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organization’s business area - GIZ International Services - is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services participates in the European Investment Bank (EIB) tender procedure “Technical Assistance to FONPLATA Regional Framework Loan”.
FONPLATA is a multilateral financial organization formed by Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay. Its main objective is to finance projects, especially in vulnerable urban districts, rural areas and border regions that contribute to economic and social growth of its member countries in the River Plate Basin.
EIB and FONPLATA signed an agreement on a project to finance the investments of local, regional and national authorities in the River Plate to promote regional development in the River Plate Basin area, with a particular focus on enhancing climate resilience in physical infrastructure, socio-environmental, economic and productive development in disadvantaged border areas. This project will be supported by a Technical Assistance (TA), which is the subject of the present tender procedure.
The overall objective of the TA is to upgrade FONPLATA’s policies and procedures so as they are in line of international accepted standards and to support FONPLATA in the implementation of EIB’s projects to ensure they meet EIB required standards and comply with EIB contract terms and conditions. Therefore, the EIB is programming to establish TA for the PIU in charge of the Bank’s project and as reference to the upgrade of the whole institution.
Particularly, the TA will a) support the FONPLATA’s Project Implementation Unit (PIU); b) provide capacity and institutional building to FONPLATA and implementers; c) ensure compliance of projects with EIB procurement and financial guidelines as well as with the Environmental and Social standards; d) assist final beneficiaries as required. The TA will also promote climate resilience awareness in the region and will target the development of programmes and schemes that comprise climate action components.
The Project Management and Monitoring Specialist will support the Team Leader in the overall management of the TA programme. He or she will facilitate smooth project implementation maintaining close relations with FONPLATA, EIB and GIZ Backstopping. The person will be based in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, with frequent travelling to FONPLATA member countries.
- Support FONPLATA and the Team Leader in the identification and appraisal of climate change related investments.
- Support drafting EIB required documents, including project fiche and monitoring reports, ensuring coordination of inputs by relevant technical units within FONPLATA.
- Facilitate communications with EIB team and facilitate any field missions.
- Coordinate TA related events, including trainings and communications events.
- Assist FONPLATA with project monitoring and preparing monitoring sections of EIB reports – including collecting data to elaborate project indicators and regularly update project monitoring framework.
- Maintain project files for EIB finance projects and ensure all supporting documents concerning procurement, environment, resettlement and financial management aspects are available for EIB review as needed.
- Assist in the preparation allocation and disbursements requests to be submitted to EIB.
- Maintain and update financial management information of projects for submission to EIB.
- Assist PIU and the TA Coordinator in any other tasks as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- Preferably Master’s Degree in Engineering, Social Sciences, Economics or equivalent.
- Computer literacy including ability to use the advanced functions of MS Office to create reports and customised spreadsheets for financial analysis and management reporting purposes.
- Fluency in Spanish and excellent speaking and drafting skills in English are mandatory. The knowledge of Portuguese will be considered an asset.
General Professional Experience
- At least 5 years of related professional experience in project management of infrastructure projects.
- Expertise in the field of sustainable procurement will be an asset.
- Understanding of country procurement assessments, processes and methodologies in order to identify strengthening actions.
Specific Professional Experience
- Knowledge of a country’s national procurement system, particularly those of the five FONPLATA member’s countries (Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay).
- Experience in working in Multilateral Development Banks, NGOs or Public Administration would be an asset.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Please send us an updated CV in EuropeAid / European Commission format in English.
Part-time work (minimum 90%) is possible.
- We are a global service provider within the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. We offer you the opportunity to deploy your technical know-how at one of our locations in more than 130 countries.
- Diversity and respect are key elements of our corporate culture: GIZ promotes and supports every individual and in this way safeguards the individual opportunities for all employees, irrespective of sex, nationality or religion. Naturally, our management team is made up of both men and women.
- You will receive a medical check-up, as well as detailed advice on precautionary measures, vaccinations and malaria prevention. Every two years, you and your accompanying family members will receive a precautionary check-up. The medical service is available in emergencies for employees domiciled in Germany. It also provides advice for ergonomically designed workplaces.
- If you are required to work abroad for a period of time, you will receive an overseas supplement as reimbursement for your additional expenses. The amount of the overseas supplement depends on where you are located.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
+49 6196 79-3039