Team Leader and Climate Change Specialist (m/f/d): Climate Resilient Infrastructure in the River Plate Basin (Technical Assistance to FONPLATA Regional Framework Loan)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organization operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organization’s business area - GIZ International Services - is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services participates in the European Investment Bank (EIB) tender procedure “Technical Assistance to FONPLATA Regional Framework Loan”.
FONPLATA is a multilateral financial organization formed by Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay. Its main objective is to finance projects, especially in vulnerable urban districts, rural areas and border regions that contribute to economic and social growth of its member countries in the River Plate Basin.
EIB and FONPLATA signed an agreement on a project to finance the investments of local, regional and national authorities in the River Plate to promote regional development in the River Plate Basin area, with a particular focus on enhancing climate resilience in physical infrastructure, socio-environmental, economic and productive development in disadvantaged border areas. This project will be supported by a Technical Assistance (TA), which is the subject of the present tender procedure.
The overall objective of the TA is to upgrade FONPLATA’s policies and procedures so as they are in line of international accepted standards and to support FONPLATA in the implementation of EIB’s projects to ensure they meet EIB required standards and comply with EIB contract terms and conditions. Therefore, the EIB is programming to establish TA for the PIU in charge of the Bank’s project and as reference to the upgrade of the whole institution.
Particularly, the TA will a) support the FONPLATA’s Project Implementation Unit (PIU); b) provide capacity and institutional building to FONPLATA and implementers; c) ensure compliance of projects with EIB procurement and financial guidelines as well as with the Environmental and Social standards; d) assist final beneficiaries as required. The TA will also promote climate resilience awareness in the region and will target the development of programs and schemes that comprise climate action components.
The Team Leader (m/f) will assist FONPLATA build capacity for the identification, appraisal and monitoring of climate change investment opportunities that could be financed by EIB. He or she will work closely with FONPLATA PIU to coordinate on reporting and communications regarding EIB financed projects. The tasks include:
- Together with FONPLATA PIU define the work plan and task for the TA and regularly update as needed.
- Report to FONPLATA and EIB on the progress of the TA activities and results and provide inputs to assess TA implementation.
- Support FONPLATA in the discussion with potential beneficiaries to identify climate change investment opportunities.
- During appraisal stages, provide recommendations on how to integrate climate change considerations in project design and how to estimate climate change cost/contribution of investments.
- Promote the development of training activities for FONPLATA staff in climate change adaptation in basic infrastructure investments, including in water supply, transport, and urban planning.
- Assist FONPLATA in identifying opportunities to conduct climate risk and vulnerability assessments and the preparation of terms of reference.
- Quality assurance of project fiche and reporting documents to be submitted by FONPLATA to EIB.
- Coordinate the international team of experts and provide support to FONPLATA as needed to ensure EIB financed projects meet the conditions set in the finance contract.
- Assist to elaborate and prepare the workshops to be organised during the TA with the collaboration of FONPLATA and the EIB’s supervision.
- Assist in any other tasks required to ensure the quality of the project.
Qualifications and Skills
- University degree, preferably at Masters’ level, in Civil Engineering or Business Management or related field or equivalent.
- Proven Project Management skills.
- Computer literacy including ability to use the advanced functions of MS Office to create reports and customised spreadsheets for financial analysis and management reporting purposes.
- Fluency in Spanish, and excellent speaking and drafting skills in English are mandatory. Knowledge of Portuguese would be an advantage.
General Professional Experience
- At least 15 years of related international professional experience.
- At least 5 years of experience of working in a project management position, including management of staff or experts.
- Management experience accumulated in IFIs-financed projects would be an asset.
Specific Professional Experience
- Professional experience in at least two multi-sector projects at urban or regional levels in public and social infrastructure and social cohesion preferably in Latin American countries.
- Proven experience in training/capacity building/institutional development and/or support to PIU/PMU.
- Extensive experience on coordinating procurement, environmental, social and governance standards in projects and/or programmes, as evidenced by at least 3 years of relevant professional experience.
- Extensive experience on climate change projects as evidenced in the participation of three elaboration of climate risk and vulnerability assessments or the application on climate change adaptation in at least three projects.
- Knowledge of EIB and international policies, rules and guidelines in the areas of procurement, environment, social and governance would be an advantage.
- Experience working with Multilateral Development Banks (MDB) would be an advantage.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Please send us an updated CV in EuropeAid format in English.
According to the Project Terms of Reference, the Team Leader and Climate Change Expert shall work on 360 days during the total project duration of 4 years.
- We are a global service provider within the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. We offer you the opportunity to deploy your technical know-how at one of our locations in more than 130 countries.
- Diversity and respect are key elements of our corporate culture: GIZ promotes and supports every individual and in this way safeguards the individual opportunities for all employees, irrespective of sex, nationality or religion. Naturally, our management team is made up of both men and women.
- You will receive a medical check-up, as well as detailed advice on precautionary measures, vaccinations and malaria prevention. Every two years, you and your accompanying family members will receive a precautionary check-up. The medical service is available in emergencies for employees domiciled in Germany. It also provides advice for ergonomically designed workplaces.
- If you are required to work abroad for a period of time, you will receive an overseas supplement as reimbursement for your additional expenses. The amount of the overseas supplement depends on where you are located.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
+49 6196 79-3039