Akvo is looking for a programme manager to support us in the management of our programmes and to expand our network in Africa with a focus on West Africa.
You will manage large-scale programmes across Africa and drive business development for Akvo in cooperation with the business development team. You are a leader who makes things happen and gets things done. You are proactive, responsible and able to maintain good working relationships in a diverse team.
Your focus will be on the water (including water quality) and agriculture sectors in Africa. This position is based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and you will be reporting to the director of operations, who is also based in Amsterdam.
- Programme management: you manage, monitor and deliver large-scale programmes in Africa and act as a spokesperson in multi-stakeholder meetings.
- Business development: you improve Akvo’s understanding of the water and agriculture sectors in Africa, initiate new partnerships, lead proposal writing, and represent Akvo at international conferences and networking events.
- Technical advice / consultancy: you understand our partners’ needs and are able to match these needs to innovative data solutions. You provide high level advice about data solutions in collaboration with Akvo’s data experts.
- Knowledge sharing: you actively contribute to Akvo internal processes and share knowledge within the organisation.
Requirements and competencies
- 5 - 10 years of work experience, preferably in the international development, water, agriculture or information technology sector
- Proven track record in programme management, including:
- Managing a project team
- Stakeholder management in an international and culturally diverse environments
- Previous professional assignments within Africa and able to rely on a solid professional network in the region
- Proven track record of representing organisations and negotiating on their behalf at a strategic level in complex multi-stakeholder environments
- Proven track record in successful large-scale business development (> €150k programmes)
- Affinity with data solutions advisory services
- Excellent command of the English language in both writing and speaking
- Excellent command of the French language in both writing and speaking
- Based in the Netherlands and willing to travel regularly to Africa
What we offer
- Full time (40 hours/week) employment contract for 8 months to begin with, with the intention of building a long-lasting working relationship
- A competitive salary in line with the market
- Personal development budget
- Additional pension scheme
- Daily lunch at the office
- A unique chance to work in an open, ambitious, collaborative environment with very dedicated teams that aim to have a positive impact on the world
- You will be part of our international Akvo community, with motivated and talented people whose diverse backgrounds converge to accomplish shared objectives
To apply for this position, you must be based in the Netherlands and/or already in possession of a valid work permit for the Netherlands.
Do you want to join our team? Click the button below and send your motivation letter and CV to our Amsterdam hub before 15 April 2019.