U.S. nationals: Natural Resource Specialist
Experience Your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service (NPS) as we prepare for a second century of Stewardship and Engagement. Become a part of our mission to connect with our past and create important connections to the future by building a rich and lasting legacy for the next generation of park visitors, supporters and advocates.
This vacancy may be used to fill additional positions as vacancies become available.
Learn more about this agency
This position is located within the Department of the Interior, National Park Service (NPS), Denver Service Center (DSC) Denver, CO. The DSC is the central planning, design, and construction project office for the National Park Service. DSC provides cradle to grave project management and delivery from planning to construction. DSC works in every NPS region and in more than half of all parks in the National Park System. For more information, visit the DSC website at www.nps.gov/DSC.
At the full performance level (GS-12) the major duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provides Quality Assurance reviews on design and construction projects and compliance. Provides technical support (i.e., guidance and assistance on standard methods, techniques within the natural resource compliance field) as well as to parks, regions and partnerships.
- Determines the need for and oversees preparation of appropriate environmental planning and compliance documentation for design and construction projects to ensure conformity with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and other laws, executive orders, regulations, policies, guidelines and principles.
- Researches, collects, analyzes and synthesizes information pertinent to natural resources and natural resource management and compliance from a wide variety of sources, e.g. archives, published materials, interviews with the public, region and park personnel, and subject matter experts, to address and resolve natural resource management issues.
- Prepares written comments on the adequacy of the documents relative to NEPA and related laws, executive orders, regulations, policies, guidelines, principles as well as NPS policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Writes memoranda and correspondence for use of branch chiefs, project managers or other leadership positions.
- Written and oral presentations to other professionals and interested parties.
- Provides guidance on the NEPA and other laws, executive orders, regulations, policies, and guidelines affecting natural resources, e.g. National Park Service Management Policies, Director’s Order 12 (Conservation Planning, Environmental Impact Analysis, and Decision Making), Endangered Species Act; Clean Water Act; Clean Air Act;. Applies and integrates the principles and practices of NEPA and other laws and authorities into the planning and design process at its earliest stages.
- Mentors less experienced staff, enabling them to effectively and efficiently understand and apply the principles of natural resource management.
- Represents the NPS and/or Denver Service Center at public functions and meetings with other agencies and organizations
The National Park Service has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
Salary Range Information: GS-12: $81,451 - $105,890 per annum. First time hires to the federal government typically start at the beginning salary in the range for their respective grade level.
This vacancy is also announced as NPS-IB-012(MP) for those applicants who wish to apply and be considered under Merit Promotion procedures.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid. All travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected employee.
Security Clearance Required: You will be required to obtain and maintain a Public Trust Background Investigation if you are selected and hired for this position.
This is a full-time, career/career conditional appointment.