Research Assistant/Associate (Environmental Security Program)
The Henry L. Stimson Center, a nonpartisan policy research center, seeks a highly-motivated individual to join the team as a full-time Research Assistant or Research Associate for the Environmental Security program. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated interest in the intersection of international affairs and environmental policy and a strong commitment to making a difference in the world.
The Environmental Security program explores the suite of environmental threats, both human and natural, that have the potential to undermine national, regional, or global security. The increasingly complex and transnational drivers of environmental challenges compromise ecological, economic, energy and food security and ultimately can foster destabilization and geopolitical tension. Through its engagement with unconventional stakeholders, the Environmental Security program works to identify the roots of these threats to peace and stability and puts forward innovative solutions.
The Environmental Security team is a bright, fun, and energetic group who work together to enact constructive change for the future. We enjoy brainstorming sessions, are open to new ideas and solution-oriented thinking. We value each other's ideas and aspirations and work to achieve greatness both individually and as a team.
The Research Assistant/Associate will contribute to the program's overall mission to foster a better understanding of the growing impact of environmental challenges on national, regional, and global security and devise policies and solutions for implementation with partners around the world.
- Conduct research and implement research projects as assigned by the Director;
- Assist in drafting articles and reports to help communicate the Environmental Security team's message to a variety of stakeholders;
- Support the program's social media presence and other communications;
- Help organize, design, and prepare for public events and meetings with stakeholders;
- Represent the Environmental Security program with stakeholders, including governmental agencies and bodies, the private sector and nongovernmental organizations;
- Attend meetings with the Director and prepare briefing memos and talking points;
- Organize and participate in domestic and foreign travel;
- Support funding proposal and budget development;
- Stay current on environmental security issues to help inform the Environmental Security team;
- Work in a crosscutting manner with other Stimson programs;
- Manage interns;
- Provide administrative support to the Director; and
- Perform other tasks as needed.
- Demonstrated interest in international security issues, or more specifically non-traditional security threats related to global security and environmental policy;
- A bachelor's or master's degree in a related field to be considered for a Research Assistant position;
- A master's degree and at least two years of relevant experience to be considered for a Research Associate position;
- Track record of writing and editing on topics related to global security and environmental policy;
- Strong organizational and communication skills and the ability to manage multiple competing deadlines and priorities;
- Demonstrated analytical, critical thinking, and research skills;
- Have an innovative spirit and drive and the ability to work at a rapid pace;
- Enjoy working in a team, pitch-in when needed, show flexibility in operations and appreciate the need for a sense of humor;
- Full competency in Microsoft Office suite; and
- Experience with GIS is a plus, though not required
To apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and a writing sample in a single PDF document.