Local recruitment: Programme Associate (GEF, two positions)
The UNDP-GEF Unit is based in the Bureau for Development Policy (BOP) and is responsible for providing leadership, technical support and implementation oversight to the delivery of GEF Trust Funds. The Unit is organized into a number of substantive technical teams with staff located in both HQs and UNDP's Regional Service Centers in Addis Ababa, Bratislava, Panama, and Bangkok, and with a decentralized structure in terms of financial, operational, and budget managements with authority delegated to respective managers located in HQ or in the region.
GEF Trust Funded projects in Africa are supported at the national level by UNDP Country Offices (COs) and at the regional level by Regional Coordination Units (RCUs). The projects are located in Anglophone, Francophone and Lusophone countries.
Under the overall supervision of the UNDP-GEF (Global Environmental Finance) Regional Technical Advisors (RTAs) and direct coordination and guidance of the corresponding Regional Team Leader (RTL), the Programme Associate will facilitate the effective delivery of UNDP-GEF's portfolio in Africa by providing support and oversight throughout the development, implementation, monitoring/evaluation and closure of UNDP-GEF projects. This includes effective portfolio data management and monitoring, to maximize Country Offices' (CO) timely compliance with UNDP and GEF requirements.
The Programme Associate will work in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and Project teams in the CO and UNDP-GEF HQs global team/staff to resolve complex programme-related issues and to ensure a consistent quality service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected:
- Management and support to projects under development;
- Monitoring and support to projects (after GEF approval);
- Portfolio Monitoring and Support (includes projects under development and under implementation);
- Country Office Capacity Support;
- Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing;
- Supporting mission travel;
- Country Office Capacity Support;
- Self-Development, Learning, Knowledge Management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Management and support to projects under development (pipeline):
- Coordinate document processing related to project development in the region (regional and country level projects) as relevant to all stages of the project cycle;
- Checking for accuracy and consistency of information against established formats;
- Updating the UNDP-GEF project data base (PIMS):
- Tracking required information for project completion and/or processing requirements:
- Following-up on correspondence with project proponents, Country Offices (COs) and UNDP-GEF Headquarters; and
- Processing documentation for submission, including final quality check regarding accuracy and compliance with formats and guidelines.
Expected Results: Projects under Development are fully compliant with UNDP and GEF requirements
2. Monitoring and support to projects (after GEF approval):
- Effective communication to COs on the processes relating to Delegation of Authority (DOA) and ensure CO receives a Letter of DOA and the approved final UNDP Project Document and any other associated/necessary documents and requested clearance (including financial and technical clearance) in a timely manner once UNDP-GEF receives an approval/endorsement from a source of fund;
- Ensures Annual Work Plans are submitted for Regional Technical Advisor's (RTA) approval and Authorized Spending Limit (ASL) issuance;
- Assist the Regional Technical Advisors in reviewing projects' annual and multi-year work plans in a timely manner, ensure compliance with Donor requirements in terms of budgeting and identify irregularities;
- Assist Management Programme Support Analyst in regional portfolio analysis ensuring all data necessary for the analysis is collected from COs and consistent for any specific projects under his/her portfolio;
- Assist COs in completing budget revision processes in time for on-going projects under his/her portfolio.
Expected Results: Effective monitoring and timely support to projects after GEF CEO endorsement ensuring all UNDP and GEF timelines and milestones are met.
3. Portfolio Monitoring and Support (includes projects under development and under implementation):
- Ensure all project information in UNDP-GEF database (PIMS) is correct and up to date at all time from the creation of a project in PIMS until the project's operational and financial closure for projects under his/her portfolio;
- Monitor project delivery and submission of progress reports & budget revisions for the region; identify reasons for shortfall in delivery & alert RTAs of any projects with concerns;
- Undertake financial monitoring of the portfolio in the region and analyze individual projects' budgets and budget revisions in close coordination with the COs and RTAs;
- Assist in all aspects of regional portfolio management, including tracking of standard project related management actions, monitoring and evaluation requirements and progress reports (TPR/APR, PIR) including processing of required documentation. Maintains the electronic project data base fully updated &, where necessary, organizes and maintains hard-copy files of all projects & associated information and official documentation;
- Assist in the preparation, updating & dissemination of PowerPoint & other presentations & in managing dissemination of information that describe the work & achievements of UNDP-GEF via the media;
- Carry out a financial follow-up, advise Country Offices (or executing agencies in case of regional or global projects without Project Principle Resident Representatives) with regard to the deployment of the funds and the project closure, as well as the preparation of the quarterly reports flagging to the RTA any discrepancies, need for action, or progress in disbursement;
- Maintain close contact with cos on projects in varying stages of the project cycle, tracking project development and/or implementation progress against established time frames for project maturation and/or the attainment of implementation milestones as indicated in project annual work plans, recommending courses of action as appropriate and bringing to the RTAs' attention all technical issues that require attention/resolution;
- Draft correspondence and assist with other administrative tasks, as required;
- Backstop other members of the Africa Team and performs ad-hoc tasks, as required, to ensure the Team will deliver at the highest standard;
- Support in the organization of meetings, seminars, and workshops by making timely conference room booking, assisting in preparing and sending invitations, following up on invitations with phone calls, assisting in preparing agenda and/or background documentation, assisting in setting up telephone conference call for video-conference meetings, and coordinating logistics with maintenance unit for publications display whenever necessary;
- Backstop other Programme Associates and performs ad-hoc tasks as required.
Expected Results: Effective monitoring and timely support to projects under implementation ensuring all UNDP and GEF timelines and milestones are met.
4. Country Office Capacity Support:
- Managing information flow between COs & HQ on the regional portfolio to meet all reporting requirements;
- In coordination with RTAs, advise environmental focal points on procedural issues, approval processes and associated time-frames related to UNDP-GEF project cycle management, according to the UNDP POPP, UNDP-GEF Programming Manual, and any other appropriate Advisory Notes and guidelines;
- Assist COs, Africa Team, or HQs on staff recruitment processes and consultant procurement processes, including the development of TORs, finalizing adverts, screening, long and short listing, organizing interviews, ensuring necessary records and documentation throughout the recruitment process, etc., as requested by RTAs;
- Work in close collaboration with the UNDP-GEF Management and Programme Support Unit and the operations, proqramme and projects' staff in COs as required for resolving complex issues related to project administration or portfolio management;
- Organize UNDP-GEF training programmes and workshops in the region as appropriate, including logistics, communications with COs, documentation requirements and any other logistical and administrative support.;
Expected Results: Country Offices are supported effectively and efficiently to ensure they meet UNDP and GEF timeline and milestones.
5. Self-Development, Learning, Knowledge Management:
- Learn from and contribute to corporate knowledge tools including programming manual and PA training manuals;
- Organize and participate in UNDP-GEF training programmes and workshops as required; oversee logistics, documentation, and preparation/review of budget and authorization of expenses;
- Coordinate focal area knowledge management activities. Manage dissemination of information through Power Point or similar means, resulting in public awareness of the work and achievements of UNDP-GEF;
- Undergo training in UNDP and GEF programme requirements;
- Focus on results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Expected Results: The PA continually learns from and improves the effectiveness of corporate knowledge tools, training programmes, marketing and communications, and contributes to the overall UNDP-GEF knowledge management
Supporting mission travel:
- Facilitate the travel of RTAs to their respective mission by preparing Request for Service Form (RSF), entry in atlas T & Module and inserting their approved mission in to the BPPS travel platform;
- The Service Contractor will be required to provide support on the planning and delivery of specific services.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN's values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Maintains relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Proven networking, team-building, communication, conflict resolution and organizational skills.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more areas. acts on learning plan, and applies newly acquired skills;
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside of UNDP.
Team Work, Communication, Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to work in teams;
- Ability to work under pressure, to prioritize and to show a spirit of initiative;
- Excellent time management, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Demonstrates initiative and self-motivation to work independently, as well as, cooperative and collaborative spirit to work in a team;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Ability to manage conflict;
- Demonstrated informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- B.A/B.sc. or M.A/M.Sc. Degree in Business or Public Administration, Finance, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, Natural Resources Management or other closely related fields.
- Certification in project management would be an added advantage
- Minimum of 2 years (4 years with first Degree) of experience in financial resources management, budget management or Administrative support functions;
- Solid experience in project oversight and/or management highly desirable;
- Knowledge of tools and methodologies to follow-up on projects or project cycle management;
- Experience at the national or international level with organizations that manage grants is an advantage;
- Demonstrated interest in the environment is an asset;
- Mastery in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, as a minimum, databas management as a plus) and demonstrated experience in web research
- Good knowledge of an ERP System (such as Atlas) and UNDP Procurement, Finance and Accounting structure will be considered an advantage
- Knowledge of UNDP-GEF is an advantage
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French;
- Spanish and Portuguese would be an added advantage;
- Proficiency in other UN languages is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.