Programme leader Sustainable water management
Wageningen University & Research
It’s our daily job to make a significant contribution to the quality of life of people across the world. We are striving to answer questions that address societal challenges such as sustainable food production, climate change and new sources of energy. We do this by finding nature based solutions within our domain of healthy and safe food and food production, food security and a healthy living environment. We work with others to take up those challenges from a local to global scale. Do you want to get involved, together with 5000 committed colleagues? We will give you that opportunity.
The Environmental Sciences Group (ESG) is the part of Wageningen University & Research focusing on research in the green and blue environment, where nature-based solutions lead to a greener world. ESG comprises the University Department of Environment Sciences and Wageningen Environmental Research (WENR). The focus of the activities and expected impact of the programme leader is within WENR. WENR offers a combination of applied and fundamental research in various fields of expertise such as water, biodiversity, environment, soil, landscape, cities, climate, land use, governance, forestry, and recreation.
The Programme Leaders Team drives organisational change through the delivery of a professional and client driven working culture both directly and through others. Through the programme leaders our mission and our ambitions are realised. They channel and prioritise project acquisition and organise platforms and networks where “inside” and “outside” meet and interact.
As part of the Programme Leaders Team and based within the Environmental Sciences Group, we are looking for an enthusiastic and engaged programme leader Sustainable water management.
You will build and further develop the programme through a balanced, coherent and profitable portfolio of research and innovation projects. You are also responsible for organising an efficient acquisition process within your programme. An ambitious and realistic year plan, with clear value propositions and a communication plan, provides a foundation for the activities you and a team of topic leaders carry out. The focus is on delivering new externally funded projects and programmes with national and international clients and partners.
- You are:
- A networker who is regarded (inter)nationally as a logical partner for research and innovation. You have a track record in actively building and using your network to create new business and value for us, our clients and society as a whole;
- Able to inspire people, both externally as well as colleagues;
- Able to discuss strategic investment topics with key clients and stakeholders at board level;
- Present at (inter)national meetings, scientific and non-scientific. You do not need to excel in scientific specialisation, but in integrating and connecting knowledge across an institute such as WUR. In your way of working you are a representative for the WUR organisation as a whole;
- A strategic thinker, you have a clear vision and are not afraid to make choices. You lead the total project portfolio and create synergies within the portfolio and with the other programme leaders, team leaders, chair holders and other researchers;
- Responsible for the acquisition strategy and have an eye for balancing your portfolio in terms of projects aimed at knowledge creation, knowledge deployment and value creation. This leads to a financially sound programme in the short and long term;
- An entrepreneur who realises turnover and profit in the (inter)national markets by building long term relations with key clients and stakeholders;
- Connecting researchers within ESG to your programme to help in delivering the annual plan;
- Able to coach the people you work with closely in their personal development, also by setting an example;
- With strong interpersonal and communication skills, you are a good negotiator with a keen eye for financial and legal requirements.
You have completed an academic education with a demonstrated affinity within the domain of Wageningen University & Research, preferably in the domain of the programme. You are a strategic thinker capable of developing and communicating a clear vision. You are a networker who combines commercial abilities with passion and persuasiveness.
We expect you to help building our core values:
- Entrepreneurship (we show courage in creating new opportunities)
- Cooperativeness (cooperation is the default choice)
- Dependability (we do what we promised)
- Flexibility (we are agile and decisive)
- Trust (we trust each other)
An exciting and challenging job with much responsibility and personal freedom in an international setting. It is further characterised by the cooperation between enthusiastic professionals in multidisciplinary teams.
Depending on your experience the function of programme leader is maximum scale 13. The position is between 32 and 36 hours per week, for a period of 12 months initially. A permanent position will be offered subject to a successful evaluation during the first probationary year.
Does this challenge match your ambition and are you interested in working at ESG? Please respond to this vacancy before April 15, 2019. The interviews will take place in Wageningen in the week commencing 15 April (Week 16). In case we haven’t found the ideal candidate within this period we can extend the deadline for applications.
An aptitude assessment might be part of the selection procedure.
For more information on ESG and the programmes, have a look at this website: https://www.wur.nl/en/Research-Results/Research-Institutes/Environmental-Research.htm
Please contact Charon Zondervan, the programme coordinator ESG, for more information and about this job at +31-317480227 or Charon.firstname.lastname@example.org.