India nationals: Project Officer (Natural Resource Management and Biodiversity)
The NRM portfolio of UNDP is supporting the Government of India in meeting national development objectives along with commitments under important multilateral environment agreements especially the Convention on Biological Diversity. The portfolio has been supporting the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change in meeting its national and international environmental priorities and commitments. The technical and policy support provided by the portfolio focus on institutional strengthening and building capacities to utilize natural resources in a sustainable way, while increasing resilience to climate variability and associated risks and impacts.
The portfolio supports India’s engagement with the Global Environment Facility (GEF) and other donors; and works with Central Ministries and state governments to implement various projects such SECURE Himalaya, India High Range Mountain Landscape Project, Global ABS Project, Sixth National Report, Biodiversity Finance Initiative and Strengthening Natural Resource Management.
UNDP seeks to engage a Project Officer to support the Head, NRM and Biodiversity in programme development and effective implementation and monitoring of all projects under the portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Officer would work under direct supervision of Head, Natural Resource Management and Biodiversity and will be responsible for the following tasks:
1. Programme Development:
• Develop concepts and proposals for leveraging financial and technical resources from government schemes and programmes;
• Develop proposals to mobilise resources from donors such as GEF and bilaterals; and corporates
• Facilitate cross thematic partnerships and build linkages of projects under the NRM portfolio with other programmes of UNDP
• Support in implementation of sub-regional South Asian e-network for the achievement of Global Aichi Biodiversity Target 11
2. Management and implementation of projects:
• Ensure consistency and integration among the various programme elements and related activities provided or funded by various sources
• Ensure smooth implementation of the NRM and Biodiversity projects in accordance with the project documents and UNDP’s procedures
• Contribute to the development of the annual work plans of all projects under the portfolio
• Establish a trusting relationship with all relevant stakeholders including relevant ministries, government agencies, and all project partners as well as UNDP regional technical team for GEF projects
• Responsible for coordination and follow-up of project activities with technical agencies, governmental and non-governmental organizations involved in the projects to ensure timely provision of inputs and achievement of outputs and deliverables
• Provide technical input to the project activities where appropriate;
• Work closely with and provide necessary support to the respective project management units for smooth, effective and timely implementation of projects
• Analyse the situation in project(s) implementation, identify operational and financial problems, develop solutions
3. Monitoring and reporting of projects
• Prepare and support audit of projects and comply with audit recommendations.
• Monitor project indicators, targets and milestones of the projects.
• Support the finalisation of the progress reports related to all projects in the portfolio such as PIRs, QPRs and Annual reports;
• Ensure compliance of all projects with internal quality assurance (QA) protocols and timely update on internal system.
4. Communications and Knowledge Management
• Support in development and implementation of communication strategy and action plan for all projects under the portfolio
• Support development of knowledge products such as factsheets, brochures, publications etc.
• Help create visibility of the NRM portfolio through various platforms such as social media, Yammer etc.
• Facilitate sharing of knowledge and information within the project teams and across other teams
Job Knowledge and Technical Expertise
• Keep abreast of new developments in professional discipline and job knowledge.
• Possess basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks.
• Demonstrate extremely strong influencing and facilitation skills
• Establish priorities for self and team; schedules activities to ensure optimum use of time and resources; monitor performance against development and other objectives and correct deviations from the course.
Build Strategic Partnerships
• Establish, build and sustain effective relationship, partnerships and alliances with government and other agencies.
• Result-orientation and ability to develop strategic approaches
• Identify problems and propose solutions
• Demonstrate good knowledge of information technology and its application in work assignments.
Promote Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
• Generate new ideas and approaches, research best practices and propose new, more effective ways of doing things.
• Document and analyze innovative strategies and new approaches.
• Demonstrate an understanding of client/partner/donor perspective and strives for high quality client-oriented services.
• Establish smooth relationship and enabling environment between clients and service providers.
Required Skills and Experience
• Bachelors’ Degree or equivalent in the field of Social Sciences/Social Work/Business Administration and Management/ Natural Resource Management or any other related field
• Masters’ degree field of Social Sciences/Social Work/Business Administration and Management or any other related field would be an added advantage
• At least 5 years of project management experience
• At least 2 years of work experience in sustainable resource use in a Mountain Landscape in India
• Experience of preparing Business Plans, RFPs, Budgets and Work Plans
• Close familiarity with the roles, activities, and priorities of the Government of India, and State Government of Kerala in natural resource management, biodiversity conservation, agriculture and sustainable land management.
• Experience of working with governments/ government funded projects would be preferable;
• Experience of working with externally aided projects would be preferable;
• Experience of working with professionals and effectively managing contributions from experts and consultants;
• Experience of having worked with the government, PRIs, NGOs and disadvantaged communities;
• Relevant experience in documentation and preparation of communication materials on development issues;
• Proficiency in English
Knowledge and Skills:
• Good understanding of environmental issues such as landscape approach, wildlife conservation, , natural resource management and sustainable livelihoods
• Good communication (written and oral), interpersonal and presentation skills, with an ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Proficiency in MS-Office, especially PowerPoint, Excel and Word; Advanced knowledge of spread sheet, database management and research skills will be an asset.
• Ability to work independently and deliver time sensitive tasks assigned.
• Willingness to travel extensively within the country.
Remuneration package is Rs. 1,19,175/- per month (taxable). UNDP also offers additional benefits which include medical insurance coverage and limited pension reimbursement for contract holder and encourages work life balance.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.