This position is fully dependant on funding.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Operations Manager – WIT program is a senior member of the Water Innovations Technology (WIT) program and is responsible for enabling excellence in all operations functions including Procurement, Logistics, Assets, Fleet, Warehousing, and HR. S/he ensures effective systems that support strategy for healthy, robust and integrated functions of local team members.
S/he will collaborate closely with the Chief of Party (CoP) and other senior managers in the WIT program and Jordan country team. The Operations Manager – WIT program will oversee Operations; supervise all of these department heads; ensure that appropriate systems are in place for the effective and compliant support of the program. S/he will provide guidance in the proper administration of policies and procedures and liaise closely with Mercy Corps’ Procurement, Administration and Logistics Management (PALM) team. The Operations Manager WIT program will also provide continuous support and input to the CoP concerning operational and strategic direction setting.
Mercy Corps has been working hand-in-hand in Jordan with local communities and partners since 2002 to implement US, UN, EU, UK, and private donor funded projects. In 2006 Mercy Corps began implementation of a highly successful $30M USD Community Based Initiative for Water Demand Management (CBIWDM) project, which worked with 175 community-based organizations across Jordan to promote water demand management and energy saving and generating technologies. In addition, Mercy Corps is helping meet the immediate needs of vulnerable Syrian refugees in Jordan, supporting them and their Jordanian host communities to meet urgent and basic needs by developing and supporting short and medium-term economic opportunities while also improving the capacity of shared infrastructure and services, such as water systems, in order to serve an increased population. Mercy Corps now looks to start a new, multi-year USAID grant to build on lessons learned from 9 years of strong community development work in water resource management.
The Water Innovations Technology (WIT) project is a 5-year $35M USD USAID-funded program designed to catalyze a movement for water conservation in Jordan. The WIT program will contribute to the overall objective of conserving water in Jordan, through the adoption and proven water-saving technologies and techniques, by achieving three integrated outcomes: 1) Water conserving technologies and behavior changes are adopted at the agricultural, community and household levels; 2) Access to financing for adoption of water conservation technology is improved; and 3) Institutions strengthened to support water saving technologies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategy and Vision
- Provide program support, coordination, supervision and monitoring designed to meet program objectives of WIT program.
- Contribute to the WIT program strategic planning process and provide regular updates.
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs.
- Interface with stakeholders responsible for coordinating all supply shipments via the appropriate approval processes in coordination with MC Country Logistics Team.
- Communicate with local partners as well as sub-grantees, to verify their systems and that they understand and follow all appropriate procedures and archiving.
- Maintain productive relationships with all stakeholders, vendors, suppliers, etc. related to WIT program.
- Develop the capacity of the team and assist with continued development of a career path for operations staff of WIT program.
- Facilitate operations aspects of WIT program planning, and upcoming operations resources needs, especially procurements.
- Assist teams in understanding their roles and responsibilities in terms of interaction with WIT program operations and the coordination with MC Country Operations team.
- Be responsible for full and proper implementation of Mercy Corps systems of management, compliance and control as described in Mercy Corps field manuals contained in the Office in a Box within WIT program.
- Work with finance and compliance to mitigate fraud, conflict of interest and legal ramifications of Mercy Corps activities.
- Work closely with the country team security focal points to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the WIT team.
Operations Management – Human Resources
- Ensure HR systems are implemented and ensure all HR policies comply with local law.
- Oversee fair, transparent and timely recruiting processes and the HR database and tracking of team members in coordination with Mercy Corps Jordan HR team.
- Assist managers in implementing the performance review process and a fair and competitive compensation system within the guidelines of Mercy Corps Jordan HR policies.
Operations Management – Logistics
- Ensure timely, accurate processing and documentation of procurements and use of Mercy Corps’ Electronic Procurement System found in the Office in a Box; Chair tender openings as required.
- Ensure warehouse procedures are followed as described in the Warehouse Policy and Procedures Guidelines.
- Supervise the fleet management team of WIT program and ensure systems to track maintenance, fuel usage and vehicle scheduling in coordination with Mercy Corps Jordan logistics team.
- Liaise with finance to ensure compliance and payment schedules; maintain service contracts.
- Coordinate logistics (WIT-program related) aspects of material aid projects and associated shipments; manage importation and customs clearance elements. Oversee equipment registration, licensing and insurance, etc.
- Maintain inventory records of materials and materials flow; oversee tracking of all assets assigned and procured by/to WIT program within Mercy Corps Jordan existing asset management system.
- Coordinate high tech driven procurement for WIT program with technical experts at MC Jordan Engineering department and HQ level (i.e. infrastructure dept., Technical Support Units, compliance and PALM).
Operations Management – Administration
- Ensure Admin. systems are implemented as described in the Field Administration Manual.
- Oversee database and file management for administration, procurement and logistics resources documents for WIT program.
- Coordinate facility management, including housing and office leases; ensure that security standards are maintained at all premises of WIT program with Mercy Corps Jordan admin team.
- Coordinate any necessary expatriate visa and work permits with country management team.
- Ensure that Mercy Corps contracts and business transactions/relationships are transparent and in compliance with Jordan law and Mercy Corps/donor policies.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Logistics and Administration staff of WIT program.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Chief Of Party – WIT Program
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Program Managers, Country Operations Director, Finance Manager, Security Staff
COLLABORATES WITH: All MC logistics and operations team as required
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS degree in a relevant field.
- A minimum of 4-7 years of field experience setting up and managing administration, procurement, logistics, and human resource systems with humanitarian NGOs with supervisory responsibilities.
- At least three to five years of experience managing operational aspects of complex, multi-dimensional programming of a similar scale, with US Gov. donors.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns and appropriate responses. Experience in Jordan / Middle East context and in remote rural environments is a plus.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and working and problem-solving independently and cooperatively.
- Knowledge of Mercy Corps systems and procedures (esp. procurement systems) desirable; M&E experience preferred.
- Strong understanding and previous experience in managing operations of US Government grants, compliance issues, rules and regulations
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required; proficiency in Arabic is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
The successful Operations Manager – WIT will be good at problem solving and have the ability to work out methods to deliver successful programs while demonstrating excellent stewardship of donor funds and compliance with MC and donor regulations. S/he will maintain strong cooperative relationships with other departments and interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial as well as training capacity, while demonstrating the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities. S/he will be able to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment and be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
LIVING CONDITIONS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
This position is based in Amman, Jordan which is an accompanied post. Jordan is middle income country with excellent education, medical, and other facilities in the capital Amman. Jordan is a very safe country with excellent communications, transportation, and housing infrastructure. Although neighboring countries continue to experience political unrest, Jordan has been a stable monarchy for over 30 years and the destination preference for many people from the Middle East to relax or gain access to available services. In recent months events unfolding in Syria and Iraq have increased local concerns over the continued stability of Jordan but to date there have been no incidents.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/6jc4nx7zrs