AWS is a global membership-based collaboration that connects organizations dedicated to promoting responsible use of freshwater. Our members are drawn from all sectors: leading businesses, non-profits, public sector agencies and academic institutes. By connecting organizations at the forefront of collaboration on water, AWS facilitates the exchange of knowledge to advance the uptake of water stewardship worldwide.
The AWS Standard provides a globally-applicable framework for major water users to understand their water use and impacts, and to work collaboratively and transparently for sustainable water management within a catchment context. The AWS Standard system includes third party certification and a network of accredited professional service providers to support and assess the implementation of the Standard. The AWS Standard system is overseen by a multi-stakeholder governance structure.
The global AWS network is fuelled by information from members, partners and a growing number of local water stewardship networks, coordinated by our regional partners and representatives. Knowledge and learning are fundamental to both our ambitions for growth and the integrity of the AWS System. AWS accredits Conformity Assessment Bodies, Consultancies and Training Organisations to deliver services for sites implementing the AWS Standard.
The work of regional partners and coordinators helps to establish the “local-to-global” learning pathways that are a critical part of the AWS approach, informing our governance and connecting multi-national organizations with local water expertise. AWS coordinators support the local-to- global approach as part of our international secretariat.
Following the successful implementation of the AWS Standard in Spain as part of our partnership with German Supermarket Edeka and WWF-Germany, we are now seeking to appoint a Europe Coordinator who will consolidate this work in Spain while advancing participation in the AWS System across the region as a whole.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the AWS Europe Coordinator you will lead AWS’s work in Europe, in close cooperation with other regional representatives and the international secretariat.
As the primary representative for AWS in Europe you will ensure the growth and integrity of AWS in the region, engaging stakeholders in all aspects of our work and strategically promoting AWS water stewardship across the region. In doing so you will work closely with key partners in region and build and maintain close relationships with influential institutions based in Europe.
You will support the development of a network of European water stewardship stakeholders to guide and support the implementation of the AWS System in Europe and contribute to governance processes at an international level.
Working with partners and members of the AWS secretariat, you will develop and implement a plan for the growth of AWS in Europe, consistent with the AWS Global Strategy and its three pillars of Influence, Inclusion and Impact. Access to technical assistance, regional-specific guidance and training to support the implementation of the AWS Standard in Europe will be central features of this plan. Ensuring robust documentation of lessons learnt from AWS Standard implementations in Europe will be necessary to support the implementation of the plan.
You will contribute to identifying and putting into action mechanisms through which AWS is able to generate revenue in Europe from the delivery of services, projects, fundraising and other sources.
This position is full-time and for an initial twelve-month period. An extension beyond this period expected, depending on performance and availability of funding. The position can be either home- based from a suitable location in Europe or be based out of our office on the East Coast of Scotland. The position will require frequent regional and occasional international travel.
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU’LL DO
You’re passionate about sustainability
- You will infuse your enthusiasm for sustainability into our organization and how we work, and be instrumental in our mission to inspire leadership in the responsible use of freshwater
You’re a leader and an innovator
- You will quickly understand the ambitions of AWS and guide the organization and network on how to achieve these ambitions
- You will work closely with regional stakeholders and influential organizations to shape, resource and implement our strategy for Europe
You will inspire the leadership needed to achieve our strategic goals and realize the potential of the business model
You’re a communicator
- You will ensure we can demonstrate the value and impact of water stewardship in a way that is compelling and inspires confidence
- You will help to develop a robust evidence base for AWS water stewardship in Europe, ensuring that this evidence resonates with diverse sectors and geographies
- You will work closely with the communications teams from AWS and regional partners to ensure compelling evidence results in greater participation, learning and improvements
You’re a self-starter
- You will quickly understand the working structure and business model of AWS, and take ownership of your role to help us achieve our organizational goals
You’re a collaborator
- You will work collaboratively across multiple time zones with international staff, regional partners, local networks, members and partners to grow the AWS System
You take pride in your work
- You will ensure our work in Europe is considered ‘best in class’
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO SUCCEED
- A sound understanding, gained through study and/or work experience, of water and natural resource management and their role in sustainable development
- Ability to engage with key stakeholders, including government and business, and build strong networks in Europe;
- A solid understanding of the EU regulatory environment and how it relates to water;
- Ability to provide technical assistance to support the implementation of AWS Standard in a way that is suitable in the Europe context;
- A track record of successful partnership development and fundraising;
- An understanding of multi-stakeholder stewardship systems (previous experience working with multi-stakeholder systems would carry additional weight);
- Demonstrated experience in project management, preferably in complex multi-stakeholder projects in an international context;
- Ability to negotiate, communicate and promote the water stewardship brand;
- Excellent administrative capabilities, and;
- Strong and persuasive communication skills in English (Spanish language skills will carry additional weight).
HOW TO APPLY
If you think you might be right for this job, please send an email marked “VACANCY: EU COORDINATOR” to . Your email should include the following attachments:
- A covering letter explaining why you are interested in the position and demonstrating how you meet the person specification
- Your current CV with email addresses and telephone numbers of two referees
Closing date for applications is April 28th, 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately, we cannot provide feedback to unsuccessful candidates.