At Weyerhaeuser (www.weyerhaeuser.com), our most valued resources aren’t only the trees and timberlands we oversee. Our employees are the real reason we’ve been in business for over 100 years. Their skill and ingenuity have made Weyerhaeuser one of the leaders in timberland management, and manufacturing and distribution of wood products in the world.
Weyerhaeuser owns and manages approximately 13 million acres of commercial timberlands in the U.S., including 3.6 million acres in Oregon, Washington, and Montana. Weyerhaeuser is committed to sustainable forest management, including water quality, and all ownership is certified under the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI).
Weyerhaeuser is seeking a forest hydrologist to join a scientifically rigorous research and technical support program focused on conducting applied research to improve understanding of water resources and aquatic ecosystems on managed forest of the Pacific Northwest. Qualified applicants should have experience in collecting hydrological data and maintaining instrumentation from water quality and/or quantity studies. They should also have a strong background in data analyses, technical writing and communicating research results to diverse audiences including land managers, the scientific community, and policy makers.
Participate in an established environmental research program on managed forest landscapes; assist with managing multiple, long-term hydrology research projects, including data collection and management, equipment maintenance, data analysis ; provide technical support to forest managers on water, wetland, and aquatic biology related issues; develop effective external liaisons with universities, conservation and research organizations and government agencies; and develop written and oral communications on forest hydrology .
- M.S. degree or Ph.D. in forest hydrology, aquatic ecology, or related field.
- Experience with experimental design and implementation, hydrologic sampling equipment, data management, and managing research projects through to publication.
- Desire and ability to conduct applied research and serve in a technical support/technical transfer role, including translating research results into practical applications for commercial forests.
- Experience working with both private and public entities helpful.
- Other desired skills include demonstrated ability to work in teams across disciplines; experience working safely alone in the field; knowledge of spatial/GIS applications; strong communication skills including peer-reviewed publications; familiarity with managed forests of the Pacific Northwest; knowledge of ecology of aquatic species and ecosystems; experience with Microsoft Office Software and statistical software (e.g., Program R, SAS).
We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence, and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference.
We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.