Tajikistan nationals: National WASH Officer
Purpose of the job:
The WASH Officer (Engineer) reports to the National WASH Specialist. The WASH Officer provides technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the WASH programming process. The Officer prepares, manages and implements a variety of technical and administrative tasks, related to the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the WASH output results of the country programme.
DUTIES and TASKS:
The main tasks to be performed:
- Prepare Terms of Reference (ToR) and Scope of Work (SoW) for services of engineering firms/consultants to carry our needs assessments for improvement of WASH in schools and health facilities
- Review and verify the assessment reports, and provide guidance of the construction / rehabilitation to be planned for improvement of WASH facilities in schools, health facilities, and other institutions are may be needed
- Work closely with Ministry of Energy and Water Resources (MoEWR), Ministry of Health (MoH), Ministry of Education (MoE), and other ministries as needed, in planning and monitoring the assessments of schools, health facilities identified for rehabilitation/improvement of WASH facilities
- On the basis of the agreed work to be carried out, review and provide technical advice, recommendations and endorse design documents, bill of quantities, technical specification for tendering purposes
- Provide technical input to UNICEF Supply Section in the preparation of tender documents, including: Request for Proposal/Invitation to Bid (RFP/ITB), ToR, Scope of Work, Terms and Conditions, and documents for contracting
- Provide the necessary input to Supply Section for request of Local Procurement Authorization from UNICEF Supply Division.
- Provide technical leadership/oversight for the for the evaluation of tenders, and throughout the bidding and contractor selection process, including Ensuring conformity with UNICEF supply rules, provide technical input into the preparation of tender of Request for Proposals (RFP)and facilitating timely launch of the RFP. ; pre-biding technical briefing, facilitating and oversighting the technical evaluation of submitted bids proposals; compilation of final bid evaluation result and ; technical assistance to the Supply in responding to any complaints from bidders in line with related guidance, laws and regulations.
- Establish appropriate mechanisms to facilitate proper monitoring and quality assurance (supervision) to ensure the construction / rehabilitation works are implemented according to standards before/during/after and participate in field site monitoring of construction activities.
- Organise a schedule of regular meetings with designers, contractors, and technical people from the ministries engineers to establish a coordination mechanism for proper follow-up of project implementation
- Establish a periodic reporting schedule for supervising engineers, review progress report documents, including photo documentation of implementation of works
- Reviewing any changes in the scope of work that may arise during implementation, assuring proper documentation, approval and reporting
- Review and approve payment requests submitted by contractors that have been duly certified by the supervising engineer, and submit for processing of payment
- With support from Supply Section, manage retention of 10% of payment requests as guarantee for defects of work by the contractor
- Follow up with supervising engineers on the process of project implementation from: initial site hand over, to substantial completion and temporary acceptance of the work, through Defects Liability Period, to completion and final acceptance of the works
- Work closely with MOEWR, MOH, MOE and consultants in the development of WASH Standard for learning and for health facilities
- Work closely as member of the WASH team in the review, update and implementation of UNICEF WASH Country Strategy
- Contribute to the development of proposals, concept notes, for fundraising
- Contribute to writing periodic and ad-hoc donor reporting.
Impact of Results:
The support provided by the WASH Officer will enable the country office to achieve the WASH-related output results of the country programme. This, in turn, will contribute to the achievement of the outcome results of the country programme document. When done effectively, the achievement of the outcome results will improve child survival, growth and development, and reduce inequalities in the country.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
An advanced university degree in one of the following fields is required: civil engineering, water engineering, sanitary engineering or another relevant technical field.Additional relevant post-graduate courses that complement/supplement the main degree are a strong asset.
- Minimum of two years of professional work experience in WASH-related programmes for developing countries is required.
- Relevant experience in program/project management in a UN system agency or organization is an asset.
Fluency in English, Tajik/Russian is required.
- Previous experience in similar construction, refurbishment, rehabilitation of WASH facilities highly desirable
- Demonstrable experience of managing consultants, contractors
- Demonstrable experience in project management and reporting
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.