PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities. Programmes for conflict-affected communities in Syria focus mainly on addressing the basic needs of vulnerable families in food security, WASH, shelter & settlements, and education sectors, in addition to early recovery and livelihoods activities. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $30 million, engaging over 350 full-time staff members across Northern Syria and cross-border response hubs in neighbouring countries. An experienced team of staff working in Syria are supported and led by the main office for Syria response which is in Erbil.
About the role
With guidance and supervision from the Field Coordinator/Deputy Field Coordinator and other senior management staff, the WASH Programme Manager will have a key role in leading the WASH teams and ensure technical quality of WASH programming in all of PIN’s areas of operation in Northeast Syria. The WASH Programme Manager will be responsible for implementation of WASH activities that are part of a large consortium project funded by OFDA, as well as project funded by SDC.
PIN’s WASH programme includes interventions both emergency and rehabilitation-oriented, such as rehabilitation of water supply, sewage and waste infrastructure, hygiene promotion, distribution of WASH kits to displaced populations.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure quality and timely implementation of PIN’s WASH activities in Northeast Syria, meeting donor targets, ensuring donor compliant implementation and ensuring high quality of the implementation;
- Provide technical guidance to the teams on WASH programme design and implementation;
- Promote synergies and standardization across all PIN’s areas of operation, among WASH actors and relevant consortium partners;
- Prepare high quality and timely narrative reporting for donors, check this reporting against financial reports;
- Complete and regularly update budget forecasts for project activities and staffing, and monitor budget vs actual on a regular basis and take timely corrective action to prevent over/under spending;
- Develop and maintain an emergency response plan for the WASH sector – coordinate with relevant stakeholders on rapid response to emerging crises;
- In cooperation with MEAL team, develop and regularly update the MEAL plan that will ensure appropriate indicator and quality tracking, ensure accountability to affected populations is in place and that WASH activities are appropriately monitored and evaluated and feedback is reflected in current programming;
- Work pro-actively to increase the profile of PIN as a WASH actor in Northeast Syria;
- Line manage national project staff;
- Assess training and development needs within the WASH team, develop a capacity building plan and implement the plan.
- Provide technical guidance on planning of assessments, and participate in WASH assessments as required;
- Participate in data/information collection, and contribute to WASH and multi-sectoral proposal development by providing field specific context analysis, technical sector specific analysis, beneficiary information, description of the proposed activities etc.;
Knowledge and experience:
- At least 3 years of professional experience within a humanitarian and/or development organization;
- Proven experience in WASH programming, technical background and familiarity with relevant WASH and humanitarian standards and guidelines;
- Experience with team management and supervision, interest and experience in building the capacity of national teams;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English, Arabic is a significant advantage;
- Strong grasp of all stages of programme cycle management and quality standards in humanitarian programming, including safeguarding and accountability mechanisms;
- Strong organizational, critical analysis and problem solving skills;
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts, including familiarity with the humanitarian context of Syria or the Middle East, would be an advantage.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- This position is an unaccompanied position. The position is based in Kobane and eligible for R&R. Kobane is main overnight duty station for all international staff based in North East Syria. The town is perceived as less conservative, offering opportunities for social life outside the work hours.
- The curfew is not imposed, international staff can freely move within its administrative boundaries either alone or with a PIN duty driver. Guesthouse building in Kobane has five independent apartments; each of them contains 3-4 rooms, separate Kitchen, bathroom and internet.
- General security situation outside Kobane is less secure however considered stable, allowing international staff freely move between all our offices without major restrictions according to PIN security recommendations. Mobile phones and cellular service are widely available. Internet is available in all PIN’s offices and guesthouses. There are a number of health services available with medevac mechanism for INGO’s members. There is reasonable access to most of the consumer goods. Travel to field sites will be required.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and PIN's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
People in Need offers:
- Salary and benefits according to PIN’s salary scale and HR policies, expected starting salary 2900 EUR (per diems included);
- Opportunities for learning, trainings and capacity development;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- 5 days of paid R&R every 90 days plus travel allowance;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line;
- Travel medical insurance.
- Housing in PIN guesthouse covered by PIN;
HOW TO APPLY:
Kindly send us your CV (no more than 4 pages) and short cover letter via this link.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.