Climate Change Adaptation Specialist
GHD is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 8500 people delivers projects with high standards of safety, quality and ethics.
Committed to sustainable development, GHD improves the physical, natural and social environments of the many communities in which we operate.
Due to continued growth, our office in Waterloo, ON is looking for a Climate Change Adaptation Specialist to join the Integrated Water Resources Management Group. This opportunity will provide you with the ability to manage your own projects, develop your own clients and provide leadership in the growth of the team while assisting in the development of the business into other associated areas of work.
• Leverage a high industry profile to provide leadership in the growth and development of GHD's Climate Change Adaptation practice within Canada
• Lead, implement and manage all aspects of climate change vulnerability and risk assessments that consider an array of climate impacts, including sea level rise, precipitation, and temperature
• Develop climate adaptation plans and strategies for a wide array of public and private clients focused on built infrastructure and the natural environment
• Contribute to engineering designs, Environmental Impact Assessment and other studies in the context of climate change
• Exhibit a depth of understanding of local, regional, and national policies and guidance related to climate science and climate change adaptation planning
• Leverage existing industry / client relationships and establish and foster new client relationships including municipal, provincial and federal public officials
• Act as an advisor in the climate science arena, remain active in the relevant academic, scientific, and professional community through presentations and participation in relevant seminars, conferences and symposiums and other activities
• Develop business activities in the climate science, climate change adaptation, and sustainability market sectors at the local and national scales
• Help to grow GHD's Climate Change Adaptation market share in strategic markets - with a primary focus on Canada and North America
Skills, Competencies and Qualifications:
• University degree with an emphasis in a climate change related science (i.e., engineering, environmental science, geography, planning/policy, etc.)
• 10+ years of experience in the area of climate change, asset and natural resource management, hazard identification and risk assessment
• Demonstrated experience developing organizational policies, programs and guidance documents – pertaining to vulnerability, risk assessment, resilience and adaptation
• Experience developing Climate Change Adaptation plans
• Proficiency in climate change assessment and adaptation tools - risk assessment software, PIEVC protocol, etc
• Demonstrated experience leading multi-disciplinary teams to address climate change related problems in a variety of sectors (i.e. water and wastewater utilities, natural systems, transportation, etc.)
• Experience working with the public, community agencies, public organizations, and industry focusing on environmental programs and climate adaptation planning
• Experience with developing and designing communication and outreach materials and delivering high-level presentations
• Strong business acumen and demonstrated business development skills
We offer a professional working environment and culture and believe that work/life balance contributes to the success and happiness of our people. We also offer competitive salary packages based on qualifications, skills and experience.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.
: Mar 25, 2019 - Apr 25, 2019