About the role
We are looking for a Hydrologist to join our Water Resources and Evaluation (WRE) team to identify and characterise hydrologic (flooding) risks to current operations and future mine development and then effectively communicating the magnitude to site and multi-disciplinary study and project teams.
This role is a great opportunity for a highly motivated individual. Working a 5 days on, 2 off roster and reporting to the Superintendent Hydrologist, you will be:
- Providing technical input into expansion studies for Conceptual, Order-of-Magnitude, PFS, FS, LoM, closure and 5 year mining studies
- Communicating technical advice to operations on surface water issues
- Undertaking surface water investigations to establish hydrologic and hydraulic conditions and develop strategic and tactical surface water management plans
- Undertaking the annual flood risk assessment and support the annual wet season management plan development for all operational sites
- Providing advice on surface water management issues to other business services (Approvals, Environment, Engineering and Asset Management, EPCM contractors)
- Providing technical input into establishing hydrological standards and guidelines
- Engaging and managing consultants for surface water investigations (including the review of consultant’s reports and recommendations) as required
- Building and fostering strong relationships with site hydro geologists, environmental officers and mining personnel
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil/Environmental Engineering, Geography or Environmental Science
- A manual C class drivers licence
- Demonstrated experience in assessment of surface water flow and flood estimation in the Pilbara region of Western Australia
- Practical experience in surface water management and design of flood mitigation structures
- Practical experience in the development of surface water management plans
- Practical experience with presentation of hydrologic assessments
- Practical experience of 1D-2D hydraulic modelling and GIS tools (MapInfo or ArcGIS)
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in MS Office
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- Post graduate qualification in engineering, hydrology or water resource management
- Experience in the development of surface water management plans
- Experience with presentation of hydrologic assessments
- Experience in Pipe Network analysis/modelling
- Strong project management skills, including time management
- Strong report writing skills
Where you will be working
In the Pilbara region of Western Australia, Rio Tinto operates the world’s largest integrated portfolio of iron ore assets with industry-leading margins. Our premium product suite, including our flagship Pilbara blend, drives strong customer relationships and is supported by technical and commercial marketing expertise. The iron ore business continues to be the world’s largest autonomous truck operator and a proud leader in automated mining technologies.
This position will be based in the Perth CBD at our Central Park building with travel to site as required.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find then in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.