Splash is an international charitable organization headquartered in Seattle, WA, founded in 2007. Our mission is simple: “We clean water for kids.” Small, young and growing, Splash is in a unique position to be groundbreaking in the global health and WASH sectors, able to try new approaches to address the needs of urban kids. In ten years, we have brought and continue to ensure safe drinking water to over 400,000 children in cities around the world. Splash is pursuing funding to reach 100% of government schools in Kolkata with full WASH coverage by the end of 2023.
Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are:
• People - People first. People second. People third.
• Quality - Beautiful products that function and last.
• Honesty - No drama, no surprises, no BS.
• Joy - Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
• Mistakes - Make them, don’t repeat them.
The Project Director will lead local implementation of this project, a 5-year initiative to reach 100% of government schools in Kolkata with full WASH coverage. The Project Director will report to the US-based Program Director with dotted-line reporting to the South Asia Regional Director.
The Project Director will assist in hiring and providing oversight to Splash International’s India staff and will provide leadership oversight to ensure achievement of the program standards and quality expectations for the project. The Project Director must have extensive knowledge of international development in India, specifically West Bengal, including local government regulations and relationships. S/he will provide guidance and direction to contractors and key staff regarding program design and quality standards.
The position requires strong leadership skills and ability to represent Splash externally in meetings with project donors, government officials, and WASH sector INGOs. The Project Director has the opportunity to break new ground in the nonprofit water sector by implementing Splash’s program at scale in Kolkata.
- Manage project start-up, implementation and close out for significant grants; recommend process improvements as appropriate to ensure effective planning, communication, and management of program work
- Coordinate effective implementation of project activities, including workplan development and implementation to ensure that project is completed on time and within budget
- Supervise Partner Sustainability Coordinators
- Manage budget and provide regular updates to Splash management on project expense forecast
- Manage and supervise project staff including technical experts and program partners.
- Serve as primary in-country liaison for the key donor of this project.
- Proactively identify and develop mitigation strategies for project risks and issues to ensure achievement of all milestones and deliverables
- In collaboration with South Asia Regional Director, ensure that all staff understand Splash’s standards for the project, and maintain a shared sense of purpose around implementing the full scope of the project on time and within budget
- In collaboration with other senior Splash leaders, build a high performing team through hiring, management, oversight, and mentoring of project staff
Education, Experience, & Personal Characteristics
• MA or MSc in a related field such as Social Work, Public Health, Global Health, Education, International Development or Project Management is desired. Candidates possessing a BA/BS in these fields with considerable relevant experience will also be considered.
• At least 12 years of work experience, including 7-10 years in international development
• Experience managing implementation of a multi-year, multi-million $USD international development project
• Experience related to the Education sector in West Bengal strongly preferred; WASH experience helpful
• Professional level of written and verbal fluency in English and either Bengali or Hindi (Bengali preferred)
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Office
Desired Attributes Include
- You exhibit absolute integrity, honesty, openness and sound judgment
- You enjoy collaboration and have a genuine interest in learning from and developing others
- Innovative and creative: you constantly seek better ways to accomplish objectives
- You are an excellent communicator, with the ability to listen, communicate effectively, and build trust with a wide variety of internal and externals constituents
- You demonstrate excellent organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment
- You think critically and put a high value on offering and receiving constructive feedback and criticism
- You have a deep belief in and passion for Splash’s work and the children we serve