The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is a non-profit, scientific research organization focusing on the sustainable use of water and land resources in developing countries. IWMI’s mission is to provide evidence-based solutions to sustainably manage water and land resources for food security, people’s livelihoods and the environment.
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is looking for a highly motivated research leader with exceptional capacity and a deep understanding of water, land and agricultural development challenges and opportunities in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. The Head of IWMI’s MENA Region will represent the Institute, and raise its profile and visibility in the region. The individual will develop/review a subregional-level strategy based on development challenges/priorities in the MENA region, and ensure that it is in line with IWMI’s global research strategy. He/She will maintain strong links with national and international partners to ensure effective uptake of IWMI’s research outputs. In addition, the Head will lead and undertake research to achieve IWMI’s goals, and take responsibility for the smooth running of the office by overseeing office administration, and financial and technical support functions. The position holder will be based in Cairo, Egypt, and report to the Director, Africa, in relation to duties within the position, and to the Theme Leader on research functions.
The Head represents IWMI in the sub-region and maintains strong links with national and international partners to ensure effective uptake of IWMI’s research outputs. In addition, the Head leads and undertakes research to achieve IWMI’s goals and takes responsibility for the smooth running of the office by overseeing office administration and financial and technical support functions. The candidate will allocate 30% of his/her time to Head duties, and the remaining 70% to research activities.
IWMI Representation in the MENA Region
- Represent and raise the profile and visibility of IWMI in the MENA sub-region, maintaining strong working relationships with research partners, national and regional authorities and other stakeholders (in conjunction with the IWMI Business Development Unit, Africa Regional Director, Deputy Director General (Research for Development) and Director General).
- Proactively contribute to IWMI’s fund-raising efforts by identifying relevant initiatives, developing a close network with donors, coordinating the preparation of proposals and providing strong intellectual inputs in coordination with relevant Theme Leaders, Africa Regional Director and Business Development Unit.
- Promote the uptake of IWMI research outputs in coordination with the Africa Regional Director and Theme Leaders.
- Lead the sub-regional-level communications/outreach activities in coordination with the Africa Regional Director and Director of Information and Knowledge Management Group (IKG).
Office administration and management
- Take overall responsibility for the management of the office including annual budgeting, risk analysis and financial reporting.
- Jointly with Theme and Subtheme Leaders as appropriate, the Head takes responsibility for the management of staff in accordance with IWMI’s policies and applicable regulations. Responsibilities include driving and/or participating in the recruitment of staff, planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance and guiding professional development; addressing employee relations issues and resolving problems.
- Bring issues related to administration, finance and research in the sub-region to the timely attention of the Africa Regional Director.
Research development and implementation
- Develop and implement research projects based on own expertise.
- Develop and oversee the development as well as biannual review of sub-regional-level strategy according to sub-regional development challenges/priorities and in line with IWMI Global mandate/strategy.
- Work with IWMI staff and partners to ensure that the research portfolio in the sub-region reflects sub-regional priorities, adheres to IWMI’s sub-regional strategy, are well implemented and have high quality scientific output including peer-reviewed scientific papers.
- Ensures that IWMI’s planned research activities in the CGIAR Research Programme (CRP) on Water, Land and Ecosystems (WLE) and other CRPs are well integrated into the sub-regional strategy.
 This refers to research projects that the Head as a researcher is expected to develop and implement based on his/her expertise and Theme’s research strategy.
We are looking for candidates with a PhD or equivalent in environmental or other engineering, with a specialization in water quality and safe reuse, irrigation systems management, irrigation engineering, soil science or social science, and at least 10 years of relevant work experience. Candidates having the capacity to work with, and influence, stakeholders, especially senior decision makers at national and regional levels, and to liaise with key donor agencies; and possessing strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, managers and other stakeholders in a multicultural setting, with sensitivity and respect for diversity are encouraged to apply.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE
- A PhD or equivalent in one of the following disciplines: environmental or other engineering with specialization in water quality and safe reuse, irrigation systems management, irrigation engineering, soil science or social science with at least 10 years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and research experience relevant to IWMI’s overall mission in water management in developing countries as well as knowledge of the functioning of CGIAR system.
- A deep understanding of water, land and agricultural development challenges and opportunities in the MENA region within the broader geo-political environment.
- Demonstrated and proven experience in engaging with regional networks and building strong partnerships with different categories of stakeholders.
- Capacity to work with and influence stakeholders, especially senior decision makers at national and regional levels and to liaise with key donor agencies.
- Demonstrated skills in managing programmes and personnel, including experience of forming, operating in and leading interdisciplinary teams that have delivered high quality outputs on time and budget.
- Strong verbal communication skills, both written and oral, including the capacity to write proposals, reports, and academic papers and to communicate research results to stakeholders at different management levels in multiple countries.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers, managers and other stakeholders in a multi-cultural setting, with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Positive interaction with members of the institute and other CG centers.
- Working knowledge of Arabic language would be an advantage.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTSFrequent travel in the sub-region of posting and beyond.
This is an internationally recruited position with a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a housing allowance, transport, education, shipping assistance, annual home leave, retirement and health insurance package. The duration of the contract will initially be for a three-year period with possible extension.