Burton has a responsibility to the sport we pioneered, and to the people and playground that sustain it. Our commitment is to make Burton as respected for our environmental and social impact as we are for our products. In December of 2017, we announced ambitious sustainability goals to achieve by the end of 2020. These goals are structured so that we can’t succeed as a business without succeeding at sustainability. We aim to maximize our positive social impact and minimize our negative environmental impact while continuing to deliver high quality and innovative products. Learn more about Burton’s sustainability initiatives at https://www.burton.com/sustainability.
As a member of the Burton Sustainability Team, the Sustainability Analyst implements key tracking and reporting activities in order to advance social and environmental responsibility throughout Burton and our supply chain. This position is responsible for measuring and implementing reduction strategies for carbon emissions, resource consumption, and waste. The ideal candidate is highly organized, a strong communicator, and is able to proactively build highly collaborative partnerships with stakeholders inside and outside the company. The Sustainability Analyst has the ability to be both analytical and creative, drawing inspiration from within and beyond the industry to promote innovation and best practices. This position reports to the Global Senior Sustainability Manager.
What You Get To Do:
- Working closely with the Sustainable Production Manager, collect environmental measurements for our most significant materials, manufacturing processes, factories, and operations. Burton products span both softgoods and hardgoods, and company activities range from product design and manufacturing through distribution to wholesale and direct channels, to marketing activations. Operations are inclusive of owned, leased, and partner-operated facilities and services.
- Provide support to staff, partners, and suppliers in tracking, reporting, and reducing environmental impacts. Aggregate and analyze reporting to communicate product and company level impacts.
- Conduct carbon reporting inclusive of Scope 1, 2, and 3 global impacts. Set targets and drive emissions reduction initiatives for products, packaging, distribution, and both owned and partner operations.
- Lead the introduction of life cycle assessment (LCA) in the manufacturing of softgood products.
- Support development and implementation of circular economy strategy from product design through use, repair, and recycling. Identify and introduce best practices by working collaboratively with the creative, product development, warranty/repair, sales, direct to consumer, and marketing teams.
- Establish reportable KPIs and disseminate information and findings to relevant audiences. Own a cadence for monthly and quarterly reporting, telling clear, concise, and insightful stories from analysis to encourage and support continuous improvement within our company, supply chain, and industry.
- Develop and deliver proposals and presentations to represent Burton at thought leadership events.
- Support the Global Senior Sustainability Manager in benchmarking exercises and special projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You'll Bring to the Team:
- Self-starter; highly motivated and able to work independently
- Strategic thinker and exceptional problem-solver with a bias for action
- Excellent analytical skills with an objective perspective and tendency to challenge the status quo
- Highly organized with an ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills including relating well and showing respect and consideration for others
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize information, educate, and influence others toward action
- Confident presenter and proficient communicator, verbally and in writing (web, telephone, in-person)
- Working knowledge of industry standards including the Higg Index, bluesign®, and certifications
- Bachelor degree in a relevant field such as engineering, economics, or ecology
- 2+ years of related professional experience in social/environmental responsibility
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite, including a strong command of Excel
- Comfortable learning new software applications
- Experience working in an international setting preferred
- Flexible with working hours to accommodate international phone meetings
- Able to travel by road, train, and plane domestically and internationally up to 10%