Hydrologic Modeling Postdoctoral Scholar (Energy Geosciences)
The Energy Geosciences Division at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory welcomes applicants for a Hydrologic Modeling Postdoctoral Scholar position. You will conduct research as part of an interdisciplinary team of scientists from LBNL, LLNL, and five University of California campuses on a new three-year project focused on California water resources in a changing climate. The primary role of the Postdoctoral Scholar will be to construct and utilize three-dimensional watershed models of select basins across the state that vary in climatic, geologic, and socio-economic settings. The developed model will be used to provide information to optimize water storage, quality, and groundwater sustainability as precipitation varies, temperatures warm, and population grows. The successful candidate will have experience developing and running hydrologic simulations and a working knowledge of high performance computing environments.
What You Will Do:
- Obtain and analyze hydrologic datasets such as historical water-use, meteorological forcing, etc.
- Develop and apply high-resolution/high-fidelity integrated hydrologic models.
- Collaborate and engage with a diverse team of hydrologists with a vast expertise in alpine environments, groundwater-surface water interactions, contaminant transport, isotope hydrology, climatology, geochemistry and reactive transport, remote sensing, reservoir management, and water utility.
- Generate and synthesize large datasets produced via high performance computing.
- Author peer-reviewed journal articles and technical reports.
What is Required:
- Ph.D. in hydrology, civil, or environmental engineering.
- Experience in numerical hydrologic models.
- Experience in cluster and/or high performance computing environments.
- Experience working with and manipulating large datasets with scripting languages such as C++, python, etc..
- Ability to collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of scientists.
- Ability to author peer-reviewed journal publications and technical reports.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, however for full consideration, please apply by close of business on April 15, 2019.
- This is a full time, 2 years, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
- Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.