Reference Number 28/03/2019/TE/SGR/Lucknow
Project Support to Ganga Rejuvenation (SGR)
Position Technical Expert
How to Apply: Please send your application in GIZ application form https://www.giz.de/en/worldwide/28418.html along with the following to with the reference number in subject line.
1. a statement of suitability for this position.
2. expected salary and notice period
3. 2 pager note on the topic given below
• overview on institutional dynamics and environmental governance approaches to manage the Indian rivers.
About GIZ India click on: https://www.giz.de/en/worldwide/368.html
Namami Gange (“Clean Ganga”) - the umbrella programme of the government of India - was launched in 2014 with a renewed impetus to decrease river pollution and conserve the revered river ‘Ganga’. Germany, with its vast experiences in cleaning and rejuvenating European rivers such as Rhine, Elbe and Danube, was asked for contribution and in 2015 the technical cooperation project ‘Support to Ganga Rejuvenation’ was set-up with the objective to support institutions at national and at state level to apply integrated river basin management approaches for the rejuvenation of Ganga. The project is co-financed by BMZ and the EU in conjunction with the implementation support to the India EU Water Partnership (IEWP).
The cooperation is focusing on an Indo-German and EU knowledge exchange on strategic implementation of river basin management approaches, effective information/ data management systems, waste water management as well as awareness raising, public outreach and engagement with capacity development of partner institutions and other key stakeholders as cross-sectorial task. The political project partner is the Ministry for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation (MoWR,RD&GR). The executing agencies are the National Mission on Clean Ganga (NMCG) and the State Mission for Clean Ganga (SMCG) in the partner States of Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh.
• Will work with the project team in planning, implementing and monitoring the project in accordance with project objectives, indicators and activities agreed with the partner to achieve the requisite objectives; focusing on the activities with the partners in Uttar Pradesh
• Ensure coordination between the project office in Delhi and the project site in Uttar Pradesh
• Advisory Service and support to partners on specific topics of water resource management, river basin management and waste water treatment
• To provide professional advice to partner institution(s) e.g. in the fields of water resource management, river basin management, waste water treatment, water related data and information management
• To ensure effective communication and cooperation with the project partners in Uttar Pradesh as well as important stakeholders (as non-government organisations, research institutes etc.)
• To ensure effective coordination with the project team in Delhi and a team of consultants contracted by GIZ to work in Uttar Pradesh
• To organize the implementation of capacity development activities as trainings, workshops, conferences, study tours etc. in coordination with the partners in Uttar Pradesh
• To contribute to the development of ToR for consultant contracts (national and international)
• To organize national and international short-term expert missions, including development of schedule, logistics, accompaniment etc.
• To review, where appropriate, the services/ reports provided by the short-term experts
• To monitor the project progress as per GIZ result-based-monitoring system
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
• Masters/MSc degree in water resource management, river basin management, hydrology, environmental science, or related field.
• 3-5 years’ professional experience, with at least 3 years’ professional experience in a relevant field of water resource management
Other knowledge, additional competences
• Excellent communication skills.
• Working experience in/with the government sector.
• Good knowledge of the institutional landscape in the water and environment sector in India.
• Very good working knowledge of computer applications and information/data management (as GIS).
• Fluent written and oral knowledge of English and Hindi, knowledge of German would be an advantage.
Travel: Frequent travel to project sites in Delhi and Uttarakhand
Duration of the contract: Until October 2020 with possibility of extension depending on the requirement of the project.
Last date of application day: 14th April 2019
Application without GIZ application form will not be considered.
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
• GIZ supports Work-Life Balance.
• GIZ promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
Disclaimer: As per GIZ’s data confidentiality policy, candidate’s application is stored in our database for six months and is deleted thereafter