Safe Water Intern
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts.
NRDC is seeking a Safe Water Intern to work with our Safe Water Initiative (SWI), which works to ensure that everyone has access to safe, sufficient, and affordable drinking water.. The SWI is a multi-faceted, cross institutional campaign that is centered on addressing the legal, health, environmental justice, and governmental failures that compromise the safety of our water.
This intern will research public funding/financing options, draft white papers, and prepare comments for submission to administrative agencies. NRDC hires passionate students who possess the intelligence, skill, self-confidence, and maturity to take on substantial responsibility. Our interns play an active role on the frontlines of the environmental movement. Over the course of a summer, an NRDC intern will typically work on a variety of projects and amass experience that he or she could not obtain anywhere else.
This is a full-time, paid internship for a 10 - 12 week summer term.
- Research public financing and relevant policy issues in support of our SWI work in Michigan.
- Draft, proofread, and edit documents (e.g., research memoranda, policy reports, etc.).
- Contribute 40 hours a week for a 10 – 12 week summer term.
- Public policy students preferred.
- Knowledge of public finance concepts and water infrastructure projects preferred.
- Outstanding academic record.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work hard, efficiently, and independently.
- Ability to represent NRDC with maturity, judgment and professionalism.
- Demonstrated interest in public service or social justice work.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a member of a team to build upon strengths of the program.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.