Trustee vacancies (x2) (East/West Africa and Latin America/the Caribbean)
Unpaid positions – three-year term (commencing December 2019)
5pm on Thursday, 11 April 2019
IIED is seeking two trustees, one based in East/West Africa and one based in Latin America/the Caribbean, who have extensive experience of working in the field of international environment and development with any of the following areas of expertise: climate change (particular interest in adaptation) and natural resources (with a focus on sustainable governance of natural resources).
IIED is an independent action research organisation that works to promote global social and environmental justice. IIED has an international board with representation of relevant experience and skills from all the major regions where we work or have important partnerships.
The institute is seeking people with wide-ranging strategic experience at board level who have ideally fulfilled a trustee role in a not-for-profit organisation previously. The ideal candidates will have a very good understanding of IIED’s area of business, would be able to clearly articulate our mission and values, and demonstrate how they can contribute towards steering the organisation through the challenges ahead.
- Based in East/West Africa or Latin America/the Caribbean, with extensive experience of either natural resource management and governance and/or climate change, including resilience/adaptation
- Ability to display a clear understanding and interest in the mission, values and substance of IIED’s work
- Extensive experience in strategy and management at board level
- Experience of the context within which international NGOs and think tanks operate, including those funded by combinations of government agencies, international institutions, private trusts and foundations, and private sector businesses
- Ability to dedicate sufficient time to the role, a minimum of six days per year, including attending a two-day meeting in London twice a year in June and November (premium economy air fare, accommodation and a small per diem is provided)
- Ability to develop positive relationships with management and board members, and
- Ability to work as part of a team taking account of the diversity and different cultures of board members.
The board is keen for IIED's Board of Trustees as a whole to reflect the diversity of IIED’s partners, networks and audiences.
How to apply:
Applicants: The deadline for receipt of applications is 5pm on Thursday, 11 April 2019 (GMT).
Applications should be in the form of a covering letter, where the applicant sets out how they fulfill the person specification for the role, along with a CV. The letter should be addressed to the nominations sub-committee, and emailed to Liz Aspden: email@example.com
Nominations: People wishing to nominate other individuals are invited to submit a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org in support of their nominee by 5pm on Thursday, 11 April 2019 (GMT).
The nominations sub-committee will decide whether to approach the nominee and invite them to apply.
Selection process: Interviews will take place in late April/May.
Download the full application pack for more details.