Chesapeake Legal Alliance seeks fill its vacant Staff Attorney positon with an attorney experienced in environmental/land use issues with a commitment to the protection of the Chesapeake Bay and its watershed. The Staff Attorney will perform intake and evaluate requests for legal assistance, identify attorneys to handle requests, perform legal research, develop content for CLA’s newsletter, other publications and website, contribute to grant proposals and reports, develop informational and training presentations for citizens, organizations and volunteer attorneys, and participate in community outreach activities. The Staff Attorney reports to the Executive Director and will work collaboratively with the other Staff Attorney and CLA staff, the Board of Directors, CLA committees, and CLA’s network of volunteer attorneys and other professionals to achieve CLA’s strategic goals. Attendance at some evening and weekend events and occasional travel are required.
CLA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to use the law to protect and restore the Chesapeake
Bay. CLA’s network of volunteer attorneys provides pro bono legal assistance to individuals,
communities and organizations that are working towards protection and restoration of the Bay and its
watershed but who cannot afford an attorney. CLA’s work covers the entire Chesapeake Bay watershed which includes parts of Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania and
all of the District of Columbia. CLA staff work closely with grass roots organizations, coalitions, and environmental/conservation/health organizations, as well as state and federal agencies.
CLA is located in historic Annapolis, Maryland. It currently has a staff of four employees and is joined throughout the year by legal interns and students from environmental law clinics and public policy studies programs throughout the U.S. CLA is supported in its work by an active 21-person Board of Directors composed of attorneys and consultants with extensive experience as leaders in government agencies, law makers, and partners in the nation’s top law firms. The 2016 operating budget is $386,000 raised from individual donors, foundations and corporations.
• Matter intake, research and evaluation for fit with CLA mission and placement potential;
• Working through attorney network and developing new law firm relationships to match matters with attorneys;
• Community outreach and networking, including attendance at conferences, social events and
fundraisers, serving as a representative of CLA to the public, media, government and local
officials, volunteers, donors and partners;
• Assisting the Executive Director and Board of Directors with all aspects of CLA services, including
staffing of committees, project development and supervision of interns, grant development and
• Developing content for the CLA newsletter, annual report, grant proposals and reports, and website;
• Performing legal research and drafting memoranda and other legal documents;
• Establishing and maintaining partnerships with community groups, other nonprofits, and state and federal agencies and elected officials;
• Developing content for informational documents and training seminars;
• Managing attorney database and matters database.
Desired Skills and Experience
• MINIMUM OF THREE YEARS IN ENVIRONMENTAL LAW, AND/OR LAND USE, particularly water quality, stormwater, sewage, development and zoning and/or conservation issues.
• Litigation experience preferred strongly; regulatory and legislative experience a plus.
• Strong writing skills.
• Self-motivated and directed, flexible, team player.
• Very comfortable working with the public and in networking situations.
• Strong interest in Chesapeake Bay restoration and protection.
• Supervisory capabilities.
• Experience with data management and social media is a plus.
Please email the following to the search committee at [email protected]:
1. Cover letter explaining why you are interested and qualified, and
2. Resume that outlines your skills and experience,
3. Three professional references
Please include the words “CLA Staff Attorney Position” in the subject line of your email.
Questions: Email [email protected] (please do NOT call about the status of your application)