Physical Science Officer/Environmental Data Analyst
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Intent of the process
The immediate need is to staff one indeterminate position, English essential, in Burlington, Ontario. A pool of qualified candidates may be created and may be used to staff similar term or indeterminate positions within Environment and Climate Change Canada with various language requirements and conditions of employment.
Positions to be filled: 1
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATION - EDUCATION
• Graduation with a degree from a recognized postsecondary institution, with acceptable specialization in environmental science, biology, computer science, mathematics, statistics or some other science relevant to the position.
Note: The courses for the specialization must be acceptable and must have been taken at a recognized post-secondary institution, but not necessarily within a degree program in the required specialization.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS – EXPERIENCE
• Experience designing, creating and/or maintaining complex databases and data warehouses.
• Experience with C# or Java or Python programming languages.
• Experience in summarizing scientific and technical information and/or manipulation of data for the writing of scientific reports or technical summaries.
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
ASSET QUALIFICATIONS - EXPERIENCE
• Experience working in a water science program.
• Experience using HTML and web coding, and web site development.
• Experience with Visual Studio or Model-View-Controller (MVC) software development architecture.
• Experience with R statistical package.
• Experience managing numerical data; (cartographic as well as alphanumeric), particularly regarding the collection, the structuring, the quality control, the documentation as well as the conservation of databases.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATION - KNOWLEDGE
• Knowledge of scientific methods, tools and experimental design for monitoring projects.
• Knowledge of data quality assurance and control principles and procedures.
• Knowledge of computer programming, data structures, and algorithms.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATION - ABILITIES
• Ability to use common industry database tools and Structured Query Language (SQL) to collate, organize, and analyze scientific data.
• Ability to work under pressure with changing priorities.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally.
• Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
• Ability to analyze and interpret scientific information.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATION - PERSONAL SUITABILITY
• Critical thinking
• Interpersonal skills
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
ASSET QUALIFICATION - KNOWLEDGE
• Knowledge of theories and principles related to geospatial and alphanumeric database management systems.
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
The client organization will accept applications on-line only.
Persons with disabilities preventing them from applying on-line are asked to contact 1-800-645-5605 and press '0' for assistance.
To submit an application on-line, please select the button "Apply Online" below.
Successful candidate(s) must meet and maintain the Conditions of Employment throughout their employment.
The onus is on candidates to demonstrate that they meet all of the above qualifications in order to receive further consideration.
A written exam may be administered.
Interviews may be conducted.
Reference checks may be conducted.
Our intention is to communicate with the candidates by email. Candidates who apply to this selection process must include in their application a valid email address and make sure that this address is functional at all times and accepts messages from unknown users (some email systems block these types of email).
Candidates with foreign educational credentials are required to provide proof of Canadian equivalency. You may consult The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials at http://www.cicic.ca for further information.
Candidates invited to an interview will be required to bring proof of their education credentials, in the form of a diploma or official transcript (original documents only).
Depending on the requirements of the position(s) being staffed from this process, for current or future vacancies, any or all of the asset qualifications, operational requirements, and organizational needs may be applied at the time of staffing. Candidates may be contacted and assessed against these criteria at any time during this process.
Please ensure that your Personal Record Identifier (PRI) is included in your application if you are currently employed by the Government of Canada.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. Applicants are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
Candidates from outside the Federal Public Service may be required to pay for their own travel and relocation expenses.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Véronica Baril, Human Resources Advisor