Senior Specialist (Sustainable Development)
The Senior Specialist, Sustainable Development leads the implementation of WWF’s sustainable development efforts in the Arctic and ensures that sustainability is prioritized over exploitation in the Arctic. The position is part of the WWF Arctic Programme Coordinating Team, headquartered at WWF-Canada in Ottawa; members of the programme coordinating team are based in Ottawa and other Arctic Programme offices.
WWF’s Arctic vision is a well-managed, biodiverse, and resilient Arctic that supports that supports viable populations of species and benefits the well-being of people in the Arctic and beyond.
- Represent WWF at international organizations, meetings, and conferences. Strategize, develop, and provide expert advice toward and lead WWF sustainable development initiatives.
- Build, strengthen, and diversify relationships with external partners in government, industry, finance, and the non-governmental community, and with Indigenous People’s organizations.
- Build relationships within the WWF network and lead a WWF Sustainable Development Working Group.
- Initiate WWF’s efforts on investment and finance as it relates to sustainable development in the Arctic.
- Develop frameworks, screening products, and other tools that engage different stakeholders, including insurance and investment, oil and gas, and shipping sectors; Arctic communities; governments; and renewable energy companies.
- Monitor regional and global developments in industry, science, policy, and trends in sustainable development, as well as emerging threats to the Arctic due to climate change.
- Develop policy, positions, and community outreach materials and contribute to communications messages.
- Submit interventions and policy recommendations to international bodies.
- Support fundraising and administration: identify new sources of funding, develop and submit fundraising proposals, and pursue and steward relationships with new donors in coordination with WWF colleagues.
What We Are Looking For
- Either Master’s degree or PhD in a relevant discipline for example, social sciences, sciences, policy, economics, business.
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Arctic development operations and challenges, including key sectors (investment, oil and gas, energy, fishing, infrastructure, and shipping).
- Excellent leadership, management, coordination, motivational, and interpersonal skills, including strong experience coordinating / leading virtual remote teams.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to develop positive relationships with all stakeholders involved in Arctic development discussions, understanding Indigenous perspectives is an asset.
Travel to Europe and WWF Arctic offices will be required. This position may be based in a WWF office in Canada, Finland, Russia, The Netherlands, or the U.S. This is a fixed-term two year contract role.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity, you may submit your application either through our online portal or direct mail. Please submit your application using one method only.
You can submit your cover letter and resume by clicking HERE.
Attn: Human Resources Department
410 Adelaide St West
Toronto, ON M5V 1S8
If you are submitting an application via direct mail, please include your answers to the following questions:
- Apart from its mission, what makes WWF-Canada an employer of choice for you?
- Are you legally eligible to work in Canada?
- What are your salary expectations?
- How flexible are your salary expectations?
- Where did you see this posting?
Deadline to Apply
Please ensure that your application is received on or before May 20, 2019, 5pm Toronto time.