POSITION TITLE: PROJECT INCHARGE
ORGANIZATION: WATER FOR PEOPLE INDIA TRUST
LOCATION: AMRAVATI (MAHARASHTRA)
REPORTING TO: DIRECTOR PROGRAMS
EXPERIENCE: 5 -7 YEARS
NATURE OF CONTRACT: FIXED TERM CONTRACT (RENEWABLE)
About the Organization:
Water For People India initiated its operations in West Bengal in 1996 in Nadia and North 24 Parganas districts. Consistent with the global vision and mission, we exist to promote the development of high-quality drinking water and sanitation services, accessible to all, and sustained by strong communities, businesses, and governments. Our organizational values are: accountability, courage, empowerment, partnership and transparency.
Water For People India programs have been implemented in 20 districts in the states of West Bengal, Bihar, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Odisha. In all, nearly 1.2 million people have been reached through community drinking water and sanitation, WASH in public institutions and market led approaches to sanitation. By 2023, Water For People India programs aim to directly benefit 2.7 million people. We aim to build capacities at the district level which will contribute to organizational commitments, thereby indirectly benefitting 14.8 million people. Water For People India implements programs directly and also through locally registered non-government organizations.
Water For People India Trust (hereafter referred to as Water For People – India) came into existence in 2008. Water For People India Trust is an affiliate of Water For People USA.
The position is a techno-managerial position responsible for leading Water For People India’s programme in Amravati (Maharashtra) and acting as an interface between the Country Office and various stakeholders in the District (such as the District authorities/ State Government, implementation partners, community, etc.). The position is responsible for contributing to the rolling out of the programme in Chikhaldara Block of Amravati District.
S(he) will drive/manage the implementation of programmes through partner organizations, and oversight from the team based in Paratwada/ Chikhaldara, Amravati district. The position is also responsible for influencing sectoral dialogue and nurturing public and private partnerships within the district. Most significantly, the position will lead the effective implementation of the program in the district.
The position holder will be involved in program development, implementation; managing relationships, information exchange and collaborations with the district government; managing local NGO partners and implementation teams; grants management; and monitoring, evaluation and research.
Specifically, Water For People India’s interventions aim at leveraging government resources (especially for piped water supply), institution building, innovative approaches to social behaviour change communication etc.
Project Water Initiative is directly implemented by Water For People India in selected villages of Chikhaldara block of Amravati District.
KEY FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES:
Programme Development, Management and Implementation :
• Implementation projects for sustainable Water supply, Sanitation and Hygiene, in line with Water For People India programme strategy, programme proposal and other guiding documents.
• Design and implement the capacity building, behavior change and other software activities for strong Operation and Maintenance of WASH Facilities.
• Lead/manage the development of Programme/ Project work plans and budgets with Water For People India team with a view to implement quality programmes aimed at achieving committed outcomes and cost efficiencies.
• Review the programme progress through regular and periodic review meetings with the team, partners and stakeholders such as the local government institutions, government players.
• Coordinate the development of Detailed Project Reports on Pipe water supply schemes, Rain water harvesting, other civil works.
• Contribute to District level discussions on Water For People India’s thematic and geographic focus areas, and representation in the district/block level dialogue.
• Implement the activities in line with monthly plans and report the progress on monthly basis.
• Bring to the attention of the line manager/senior management, any issues affecting achievement of programme operational plans and suggest mitigation measures.
• Provide oversight, guidance and support to the project team for management of programme, conduct periodic meetings. Update and seek any required support from the line manager, as required.
• Put in place mechanisms for transparent and effective team communication, good team dynamics and resolve internal issues as required.
• Engage in empanelment of vendors, consultants, any external resources for program activities.
• Ensure regular communication with the stakeholders and share strategic updates, program progress, reports and experiences.
• Coordinated interface with the local government organizations and other stakeholders in the districts.
• Manage and guide the team in providing the requisite guidance and hand-holding support to enable the achievement of programme objectives and deliverables.
• Engage in preparation and submission of high quality reports (monthly, quarterly, six monthly and annual).
• In consultation with the point person, manage a process documentation work plan on programme approaches and processes, components and monitoring data.
• Required to work outside of normal business hours while traveling and when hosting visitors
• Managing team performance, providing periodic feedback to the team and their performance reviews.
Budget and Grant Management:
• Roll out and implement Water For People India’s grants management systems and/or compliance as per donor agreements within the project and ensure adherence by teams and partner organizations (compliance, financial and programmatic reporting, monitoring and evaluation etc.).
• Coordinate with finance team for cash flow as well as financial protocols and monthly monitoring of activities and budgets.
• Approve all budgets and expenses related to programmes as per the specified authority limits and coordinate for obtaining higher levels of programme approvals, as required
• Oversee and support the finance officer for monthly monitoring of programme progress and expenditure against operational plans and budgets, in line with the guidelines of the Donor/s and Water For People India as well as the statutory requirements.
• Support all programme assessments, audits and compliance reviews and ensure integration of all recommendations
Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning (MERL):
• Maintain up-to-date primary data related to Water For People India’s Programmes such as programme coverage/ reach, key programme indicators, target groups etc., and associated secondary data/ research, in the specified templates/ formats.
• Lead/support and contribute to the design and implementation of MERL activities (routine/periodic)
• Participate in discussions and contribute to integration of findings from MERL for strengthening program strategy, components and cost-effective approaches.
• Engage in the identification, documentation and dissemination of best practices and learnings at the district and state level.
• Lead/support/coordinate any training programmes for partner organisations, teams and other stakeholders
Office Management and Administration:
• Manage and ensure smooth day-to-day operations of the Office, including ensuring compliance to statutory and legal requirements in the state.
• Undertake operational and financial decision-making and give necessary approvals/sign-offs, as per Water For People India’s authority matrix/ guideline.
• Escalate critical/ sensitive issues to the Country Office in a timely manner and coordinate with various stakeholders (internal/ external) for effective management of State Office.
• Oversee administration of the Office and ensure that all procurements (including selection of consultants/ agencies) are made in a timely and efficient manner, in line with Water For People India’s guidelines.
Any Other :
• Any other task as assigned
Education/Qualifications & Experience :
• Master’s Degree with specialization/work experience in at least one area (i) Water Resource Management, Hydrogeology; (ii) Sociology; (iii) local governance and capacity building (iv) Social Works (v) Civil Engineering
• Minimum 05 to 07 years of relevant experience in similar organizational/ functional context.
• Prior experience of implementation of water supply schemes.
• Experience of working with government stakeholders and government liaising.
• Experience in programs integrating behavior change communication preferred.
• Commitment to gender equity and social inclusion.
• Essential: Fluency in Marathi (spoken and written)
• Professional proficiency in English (spoken and written)
Skills and Competencies:
• Connects to Mission: Embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the achievement of program outcomes
• Builds Team and Talent: Approachable, inspires confidence, engaged and develops talented people contributing to individual and organisational capability
• Uses Critical Thinking: Sees possibilities, opportunities, innovative ideas, managing competing priorities
• Results Driven and action oriented: Makes hard decisions with an eye towards getting things done; translates strategy into actionable plan to deliver excellent results for the organisation
• Connects with Others: Demonstrates exceptional communication and interpersonal skills and confidence in representing Water For People India across a variety of audiences. Ability to collaborate with teams throughout the organization.
• Cross-cultural work experience is preferred.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
• Ability to travel domestically to project locations, where travel is rugged, up to 60% of time
• Required to work outside of normal business hours while traveling and when hosting international visitors.
Application Process & Last Date:
Interested candidates with relevant experience should send a covering letter along with updated resume, compulsorily giving details of three references, Current and Expected compensation to by or before 07th April 2019. Please mention “Application for the post of Project Incharge” in the subject line.
Water For People India is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and encourages diversity among staff. Well qualified women candidates, are encouraged to apply.
We regret that due to the large number of applications anticipated, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.