Waterway Investment Manager
We are the charity who look after and bring to life 2,000 miles of waterways across England and Wales, because we believe that life is better by water. Every role across the Trust plays it's part in transforming our canals and rivers into spaces where local people want to spend time and feel better, bringing wellbeing benefits to millions.
The Trust’s waterway assets include the buildings, engineering structures, fixed equipment, water resources, natural habitats and historical sites and objects that make up the landscape of our waterways and reservoirs. The Asset Management Team is responsible for developing integrated asset management strategies in line with the Trust's over-arching strategy, as well as optimising spend.
The Waterway Investment Manager will be responsible for managing the development of the overall waterway asset management investment plan. This will cover the 3 year programme and a 10 to 20 plan to aid negotiation for future Government grants.
- To develop, maintain, monitor and continually improve an effective investment planning process, ensuring we have a robust approach in place to maintain a rolling 3 year programme and a rolling 10 year plan; covering all aspects of interventions on the waterway assets, ensuring we balance appropriately our investment, our outcomes and our desired level of risk.
- Lead, develop and manage a rolling 10 to 20 year asset management business plan to aid discussions with external funders including Government.
- Understand and document the asset related benefits delivered during the current grant period 2012 to 2027.
- To maintain and document the investment planning processes in business planning manuals; which are regularly reviewed, trained and communicated.
- Develop and manage new reporting systems to ensure there is line of sight between interventions and outputs / outcomes i.e. we understand and can model the impact of our asset interventions.
- To lead scenario modelling efforts for the asset improvement programme; to provide insights and a suite of standard reports to senior managers and line managers; to support the delivery of the 3 year programme.
- To manage and facilitate the annual business planning process; influencing investment decision making and identifying planning priorities, to ensure key deliverables and milestones are met.
- To manage regular quarterly investment planning meetings ensuring there is an effective change management process in place for the 3 year programme.
- To act as project sponsor for a range of efficiency and innovation projects aimed at delivering the 5 year long term efficiency target.
- To develop, manage and act as business owner for a suite of business planning software tools.
- To benchmark against, and share best practice with, appropriate asset management organisations to understand opportunities for continual improvement both in terms of methodologies and emerging technology.
- To lead, coach, motivate and develop a small highly committed team, supporting personal growth and achievement of individual & Trust objectives.
- To display the Trust values and behaviours at all times
Knowledge, Skills/Qualifications & Experience
- Degree, or equivalent, in a relevant discipline i.e. engineering, finance, accounting, business administration, programme and/or project management, asset management.
- Comprehensive experience of business planning, programming, asset strategy and asset management in a multi-faceted organisation
- Considerable experience of developing and implementing strategy and business planning processes in a complex organisation
- Excellent presentation skills, strong analytical, critical thinking and assessment skills.
- Familiarity with investment planning and optimisation, accounting concepts, financial analysis and spreadsheet software
- Strong management and team leadership skills, demonstrable business awareness and ability to constructively challenge Senior & Middle Management teams.
What We Offer
At the Trust we care passionately for our waterways, and as importantly, for those who look after and use them. We strongly believe that a diverse workforce brings with it a diversity of ideas, thinking and ways of working which enhances what we do as a Trust.
In addition to your annual salary we also have various additional benefits. Further details can be found here.
We are striving to represent the diverse communities that we are a part of. All candidates will be treated on the basis of their merits, skills and abilities and solely by being assessed against the requirements for the job. Many of our vacancies can be considered for people who wish to work flexibly, job share or part time