|Working Title||Water Quality Monitoring/Watershed Specialist – Seasonal Position|
|Role Title||Environmental Specialist I – 59031|
|Job Open Date||05/04/2022|
|Job Close Date||05/13/2022|
|Open Until Filled||No|
|Is this position funded in whole or in part by the American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (Stimulus Package)?||No|
|Hiring Range||Hourly Rate: $17.81|
|Agency||Dept of Environmental Quality (440)|
|Location||Harrisonburg – 660|
|Job Posting Number||1098472|
|Type of Recruitment||General Public – G|
|Does this position have telework options?||No|
|Bilingual/Multilingual Skill Requirement/Preference||No|
|Job Type Detail||Wage Non-Faculty- W-1|
|Job Description||The Department of Environmental Quality seeks multiple seasonal wage staff to provide field, lab, and office assistance in various office locations. Seasonal wage positions are science, environmental, and technical related positions.|
This Seasonal Wage Program provides an opportunity to gain experience working in a challenging and rewarding position that provides real work experience within a variety of scientific and technical disciplines as well as geographic areas. These positions work directly with other scientific professionals and environmental managers to create a work experience that contributes to your scientific studies, potential career goals, developmental needs, and serves as an opportunity to network with other scientific and environmental professionals.
Duties may include one or a combination of the following duties:
• Collecting ambient water and biological samples.• Using water monitoring sampling equipment and analytical instrumentation (field and lab).• Processing water and benthic samples.• Reviewing and summarizing scientific data.• Assisting with scientific field visits and inspections.• Assisting in the generation of writing scientific field and inspection reports.• Handling live aquatic organisms, and using knowledge of fish and aquatic organism identification.• Assisting with air pollution sources.• Assisting with air quality monitoring devices.• Managing databases and digital mapping.• Collecting and identifying fish.• Assisting with general office, laboratory, and field tasks.
• Completion of college coursework in biology, chemistry, ecology, engineering, environmental science, geology, hydrology or related science or field.• Knowledge of environmental field sampling, field safety and general laboratory safety procedures.• Knowledge of general laboratory analytical procedures/protocols.• Ability to work independently and work collaboratively within a team environment.• Computer skills to include word processing, spreadsheets, database management, and GIS.• Data coordination and analysis experience including emerging technologies (like R and Python)• Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to follow oral and written directions with precision and accuracy.• Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds and to work outside in summer heat or other adverse weather conditions, ability ambulating mountainous terrain and uneven flowing stream bottoms, and working on boats may be required for some positions.
|Special Requirements||Please Read Carefully:The Commonwealth of Virginia welcomes all applicants authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not provided; therefore, applicants must be a citizen or national of the U.S., a Lawful Permanent Resident, or an alien authorized to work.Excluding current DEQ Employees, the selected candidate MUST pass a criminal background check.|
The Application Process:
Individuals desiring to be considered for this position must submit a completed employment application or you may attach a resume, before the position’s closing date. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Applicants are encouraged to be specific regarding job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities. Applications submitted via postal mail, email, or fax will not be considered.
DEQ is an equal opportunity employer by both policy and practice. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive work environment with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. All applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information, or against otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. It is DEQ’s intent that its employment and personnel policies and practices conform to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination. DEQ will provide if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of accommodation in order to provide access to the application and/or interview process. If any assistance is needed, please contact DEQ Human Resource Office at 804-698-4000.
The Commonwealth of Virginia Values Veterans:
DEQ is a proud member of the Commonwealth of Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Program, authorized under the Code of Virginia (§ 2.2-2001.2). We are committed to hiring and retaining qualified Veterans.
|Special Instructions to Applicants||Applicants are encouraged to be specific regarding job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities. Resumes are encouraged but do not substitute submittal of the online application. Applications submitted via postal mail, email, or fax will not be considered.|
|Address||1111 East Main Street|
Richmond, VA 23219
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have an Interagency Placement Screening Form (Yellow Form) as issued under Policy 1.30 Layoff? (Commonwealth of Virginia Employees Only);
- Not Applicable
- * Do you have a Preferential Hiring Form (Blue Form) as issued under Policy 1.30 Layoff? (Commonwealth of Virginia Employees Only)
- Not Applicable
- * How did you find this employment opportunity?
- State Recruitment Management System (RMS)
- Agency Website or Bulletin Board
- Job Board (Indeed, Monster, Dice, etc.)
- Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Newspaper or Professional Journal (Please specify below)
- Career Fair or Job Event (Please specify below)
- VEC (Virginia Employment Commission)
- Radio/TV (Please specify below)
- Other (Please specify below)
- * Please specify the actual source from your response to question #4 above (Name of newspaper, Journal Title, Job Board, Career Fair, Agency Website, Social Media Type, etc.) If unknown or none, enter: N/A.(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter