Requisition ID: req27496
Job Title: Environmental Health Assistant
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Not Applicable
Location: Buea-Fako and Kumba-Meme
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Environmental Health Assistant, under the supervision of the Environmental Health Officer, will be responsible for the implementation of Environmental Health/Cholera prevention activities in the Southwest Region. S/He will be required to participate in the daily implementation of the above component on Cholera prevention, providing an insight into cultural sensitivity and thoroughness of communication to the beneficiary communities, as well as assisting to see that the activities are implemented in an all-inclusive, timely and participatory manner. S/he is required to ensure that both had and soft components of the WASH actions are executed to the required quality respecting standard designs.
• Work with the District health facilities, and Hygiene and Sanitation clusters at community levels in identifying, mobilizing, and sensitizing target communities for water, sanitation, and hygiene promotion on cholera prevention
• Initiate and create linkages between the communities and the project, the local government extension staff and the target communities in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene promotion on cholera prevention.
• The EH Assistants, play a lead role in mapping out cholera affected communities for sanitation improvement.
• Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
• Establishing/training of Water supply and sanitation committees for the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
• Participate in collection of useful data, success stories and beneficiary lists as required
• Participate in distribution of WASH/cholera /prevention kits
• Assist in providing useful data for the preparation of monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
• Assist the EH Officer in inspection, conducting water quality analysis and monitoring of boreholes, shallow wells and water pumps and other water supply systems to ensure they are operational.
• Together with the EH Officer, perform compliance inspection of new construction which pertains to the settlements water distribution system to determine that all fittings are installed and in accordance with prescribed standards, plans and specifications.
• Assist in major repairs and installation of new materials, supplies, machinery and/or equipment
• Conduct water testing and advise accordingly and come up with solutions where need be to improve on quality.
• Frequently test water to determine flow rates and inform communities of its quality and to inform on time of treatment.
• Follow up on household water testing and ensure recommendations are applied at the household level
• Assist the EH Officer to work with the local Water Department and Hygiene and Sanitation clusters at community levels in identifying, mobilizing, and sensitizing target communities for water, sanitation and hygiene promotion on cholera prevention.
• Lead the Hygiene team in the midterm and annual surveys to understand the impacts of IRC programs with relation to behavior change and health-based indicators.
• Follow up all IRC’s Procedures for Security, Finance, Logistics, HR and Administration.
• Uphold IRC’s international code of conduct. Any other tasks as may be assigned from time to time
▪ University degree/HND in Civil/Environmental or Rural Engineering or related field.
▪ Minimum 2 years professional technical experience in WASH/Environmental Health, Physical Science, structures and/or water delivery/production preferably in a humanitarian setting.
▪ Thorough knowledge of WASH national and international standards.
▪ Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills. ▪ Proven technical writing skills;
▪ Competent in Windows, MS office programs, emails and database, Knowledge of AutoCAD (or similar computer aided design) is an added advantage;
▪ Interpersonal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure in a professional manner
▪ Fluent in spoken and written English, French or Pidgin English skills are a plus
How To Apply
Application files must include:
- Up to date CV,
- • Cover letter, (one page)
- Previous work certificates and Attestations
- Copy of Academic credentials
- Copy of NIC
Applicants are requested to submit their applications online or in IRC Offices in Buea at Campsic Behind John Chi Bokwango Road; Bamenda at Governor’s street; Yaounde Behind usine Bastos
Deadline for Admissibility of files: 13th May 2022 at 5pm prompt
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
The International Rescue Committee is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Only selected applications will be contacted.