Job no: 550799
Contract type: Consultancy
Duty Station: New York
Location: United States
Categories: WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene)
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, hope.
Consultancy Title: Strategic Leadership Support Consultant
Section/Division/Duty Station: WASH Section, NYHQ (Remote)
Duration: 1 August 2022 – 31 May 2023 (218 working days)
Home/ office Based: Remote
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you. For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments. UNICEF has over 12,000 staff in more than 145 countries.
The purpose of this consultancy is to provide strategic, organizational, logistical and administrative support to the Director and other members of the WASH & CEED Programme Team against effective delivery of the planned activities in relation to the 2023 UN Water Conference and other donor engagements / strategic meetings as needed.
The UN 2023 Water Conference – formally known as the 2023 Conference for the Midterm Comprehensive Review of Implementation of the UN Decade for Action on Water and Sanitation (2018-2028) – will take place at UN Headquarters in New York, 22-24 March 2023, co-hosted by Tajikistan and the Netherlands. The conference will include an opening and closing session, six plenary sessions, and five interactive dialogues, as well as side events organized by participants. It will result in a summary of proceedings from the UNGA President that will feed into the 2023 session of the UN High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF). It provides a unique global advocacy moment for WASH and for UNICEF as the sector leader. The preparations for this high- level unique meeting will require strategic support to the WASH team.
Scope of Work:
Provide strategic, organizational, logistical and administrative support to the Director and relevant team members of WASH & CEED
- Support the Director & senior management by preparing for and following up on upcoming meetings, speaking arrangements and ensuring input on strategic thinking, briefing notes, talking points and background information is provided
- Undertake historical data analysis and evidence-based brief design, as needed
- Strategy notes developed as needed on key WASH topics to shape UNICEF WASH strategic thinking and programming guidance
Director / other team members are well prepared and briefed for strategic partner discussions as required.
Support to UNICEF WASH Participation in the UN Water Conference 2023
- Scope out /update UNICEF WASH potential engagement in the UN Water Conference 2023 and upcoming internal (e.g. WASH Net) and external events such as SWWW, GA, PGA high level meeting, COP and preps for the 2023 WASH Resource partner meetings
- Produce session strategic briefs and key briefing notes etc. as required for the relevant sessions
- Attend internal and external preparation meetings / preparatory events as required
- Link with team members on preparation activities and documentation materials such as videos, posters, printing of handouts etc. as well on the UNICEF WASH Social media posting
UNICEF WASH team prepared for and undertake optimal engagement in the UN Water Conference 2023.
Terms of Reference / Key Deliverables
- Detailed Scoping note
- Schedule outlines, strategic briefing notes as required support on drafting session plans etc
- Strategy briefing notes/donor PowerPoint decks prepared including background analysis
- Schedule outlines, briefing notes as required
- Final report
- Social media updates as per agreed schedule, plans and session support for RP meeting
- Master’s degree is a minimum requirement
- A minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience in the WASH sector, including high level strategic sector engagement preferably
- At least intermediate knowledge in the Microsoft Suite of Products (including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.) is required and on using SharePoint
- Knowledge of UNICEF/UN System rules, regulations, procedures and systems is considered an asset.
- An excellent command of the English language is required (writing, speaking, and comprehension).
- Knowledge of UN/UNICEF’S rules, regulations and procedures is considered an asset.
Submission of proposal:
Interested candidates should include in their proposals the following:
Part A: Technical
- Background information that includes an interpretation and understanding of the terms of reference.
- Methodology and approach outlining a clear conceptual and analytical framework for the work
- Proposed work plan outlining clear timeframe and logical steps in conducting the assignment
- Expectations of UNICEF in terms of logistical, technical, and other forms of support for the work
- Name and brief background of the vendor, including existing experience and expertise that will be of benefit to the proposed assignment.
- Names and contact information of referees for the 3 most recent and relevant projects.
Part B: Financial
- An itemized budget divided into professional fees and direct cost of activities in United States Dollars.
Payment of professional fees will be based on submission of agreed satisfactory deliverables. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold payment in case the deliverables submitted are not up to the required standard or in case of delays in submitting the deliverables on the part of the consultant.
U.S. Visa information:
With the exception of the US Citizens, G4 Visa and Green Card holders, should the selected candidate and his/her household members reside in the United States under a different visa, the consultant and his/her household members are required to change their visa status to G4, and the consultant’s household members (spouse) will require an Employment Authorization Card (EAD) to be able to work, even if he/she was authorized to work under the visa held prior to switching to G4.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process
For Every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results. View our competency framework at: Here
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Advertised: 06 May 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Deadline: 29 May 2022 Eastern Daylight Time