Ethiopia nationals: Programme Officer (Africa Regional Centre)
SIWI is recruiting a Programme Officer to work as part of its Africa Regional Centre in Pretoria, South Africa but based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The Africa Regional Centre aims to place SIWI at the fore of regional and continental efforts to support future-oriented policies, research initiatives and capacity development for bridging the water infrastructure development and financing gap.
A key activity of SIWI in Africa is the Ethiopia Water and Landscape Governance project (EWLG), funded by Sida and commencing its Implementation Phase in August 2018 (project completion by end of 2020). The aim of the EWLG is translating water management policy into impact through the improvement of governance arrangements at basin level. The project is national in scope but in its current phase will focus activities on the Rift Valley Basin Authority’s area of jurisdiction, linking to local landscape restoration activities as well as inter-sectoral water policy processes at national level. SIWI requires the services of an experienced Programme Officer to support implementation of the EWLG, with specific responsibility for supporting implementation of IWRM capacity building and Landscape Management and Restoration work-packages (WP1 & 2).
Areas of responsibility
The PO position will be at 100% of full-time equivalent, split roughly as:
▪ Supporting planning and implementation of IWRM capacity building and Landscape Management and Restoration activities (WP1 & 2) at local, basin and national levels – 40%
▪ Provide support on setting up and establishing operational working structures where gaps has been identified between federal, regional and local levels as well cross-sectoral-20%
▪ Supporting the EWLG programme to establish and promote horizontal as well as vertical linkages (including policy harmonisation, definition of mandates and mapping of roles, responsibilities and stakeholders) across sectors and between local, basin and national levels – 20%
▪ Actively manage (internal and external) coordination activities between the three different work packages in consultation with the PM – 10%
▪ Support and work with the EWLG Team the EWLG Coordinator (based in Addis Ababa) in all aspects of planning, monitoring and reporting for all the three WPs– 10%
Under the overall guidance of the EWLG Programme Manager (PM) the PO will be responsible for providing administrative and technical support to the implementation of the EWLG.
▪ Support the PM to update and maintain the validity and adherence to the workplan and budget
▪ Contribute to the planning and implementation of IWRM and Landscape Restoration capacity building activities including training courses, knowledge products, study tours and stakeholder dialogue platforms at basin and national scales
▪ Participate and provide both administrative and technical support for design of training curricula, pedagogic approach and programmes for capacity building activities and ensure relevant reporting
▪ Assist the PM to maintain good relations and dialogue with project partners, implementers and other stakeholders at basin level
▪ Ensure continued support at basin level in Ethiopia for smooth implementation of all WPs
▪ Contribute to technical and governance studies and other knowledge products on topics such as water allocation and licensing, stakeholder participation methodologies, land use planning, definition of roles and responsibilities
▪ Support the EWLG programme to network and collaborate with all water sector related institutions and particularly working closely with the Water Sector Working Group (WSWG)
▪ Support the integration of cross-cutting issues such as gender equality, youth participation and a human-rights approach to all aspects of EWLG programme
▪ Under the supervision of the PM represent the programme and share its outputs in various national, regional and international fora such as workshops, conferences and knowledge exchange events
▪ Contribute to business development for the ARC.
Minimum of a master’s degree from a reputable university in a field relevant to environment and development, IWRM, CBNRM, Political Science, Landscape management, Agriculture, Geography and environmental studies
▪ Thorough familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet, and project scheduling computer applications
▪ Ability to work effectively as a team member and independently,
▪ Ability to manage multiple priorities under pressure, trouble-shoot, and to meet short- and long-term deadlines
▪ Excellent written and verbal communication skills
▪ Solid organizational skills, including multitasking and time-management
▪ Experience working in a multi-cultural and international context
Minimum of 5 years’ experience in project/programme implementation in the field of water resources management, agriculture or development capacity building in Ethiopia and elsewhere in Africa. Experience in IWRM and Landscape Management and Restoration an added advantage. Experience of working in or with government institutions in Ethiopia is essential.
Language and communication skills
▪ The applicant must have excellent spoken, written and presentation skills in English and Amharic.
▪ Well-developed presentation and public speaking skills and a sense of diplomacy.
▪ The applicant must be able to communicate relevant theoretical and empirical analysis in a practical manner to a range of audiences.
▪ Must be an Ethiopian national or permanent resident
▪ Willingness to relocate to Addis Ababa with frequent travel and stays in Hawassa
SIWI Africa Regional Centre EWLG Project Offices Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reporting to the EWLG PM, with overall staff responsibility by the ARC Director.
Duration of contract: one year with the possibility of extension.
Apply by submitting CV and application letter (outlining how your skills and experience would contribute to the successful implementation of the EWLG) to by 4 April, 2019. For more information contact Dr Cryton Zazu at .