Michael Baker International’s Water Group provides innovative consulting, planning and engineering solutions for the entire spectrum of the water cycle. We have proven experience in providing a full range of professional services from scientific and technical analysis, concept through design, and construction support services. Protection and management of water resources starts at the watershed level and follows the movement of water through urban and agricultural areas, streams, lakes and reservoirs, water distribution systems, wastewater collection systems, and water/wastewater treatment plants.
Michael Baker International is seeking a highly motivated individual to work in a high energy and fast pace team. As a part of our Water team, the Water Resources Engineer will assist with tasks including data and literature review, site review, field documentation, data collection, data organization, data analysis, flood model development and production. We are searching for candidates that have the ability to be a role model among peers, that are people and client-focused, and those that seek to be impactful and decisive.
- The majority of your day would be spent on a team performing various tasks for projects in the following disciplines: watershed assessments, watershed planning studies, hydrologic and hydraulic modeling, floodplain mapping studies, and flood control
- You will work with Project Engineers and Managers who will guide you in the development of deliverables
- Feel a sense of pride in knowing that you an important part of the organization and are contributing to success of your clients, your organization and yourself
- Developing and applying scripts and tools to optimize large-scale watershed analyses
- Exploring and developing workflows for engineering studies
- Bachelors Degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering
- 2-4 years of related experience in surface water or related field
- Fundamental understanding of hydrology and hydraulics
- Holistic understanding of flood risk including compounding hazards and cascading risk
- Strong attention to detail
- Ownership and accountability for quality deliverables
- Ability to be flexible and have self-initiative
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License
- Basic knowledge of industry standard computer software for the position (examples include software such as ArcMap, and Hydrologic/Hydraulic models like HEC-HMS and HEC-RAS)
- Expertise in compound flooding
- Basic understanding of coastal flood risk and desire to learn coastal modeling
- Experience preparing engineering related calculations and analyses, analyze data in spreadsheets and programming tools, and prepare visual aids
- Experience in 2D and unsteady H&H modeling
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, as well as exceptional organizational skills
- Strong understanding of statistics and uncertainty
- Basic familiarity with coding languages (e.g., R, python, SQL, VBA) and a desire to learn/develop them
- Exposure to or experience in applied machine learning
- Working knowledge of GitHub and Jupyter platforms
The salary range for this position is $42,348 – $105,825. This will be dependent on the experience and expertise of the incoming candidate.
Michael Baker International, a leading provider of engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, architectural, environmental, construction and program management, has been solving some of the world’s most complex infrastructure challenges for more than 80 years with a legacy of expertise, experience, innovation and integrity.
Based in Pittsburgh and with nearly 100 offices nationwide, we partner with clients on everything from roads, bridges, tunnels, mass transit, and airports, to water treatment plants, arctic oil pipelines, environmental restoration and specialized overseas construction. We serve as a trusted adviser to the communities we serve, making them safer, more accessible, more sustainable and more prosperous.
We provide visionary leadership in facilitating transformational change for our clients. Our work delivers differentiating innovations and dedicated experts who challenge the status quo and share a world of diverse experience and an impassioned entrepreneurial spirit. We deliver quality of life.
We Make a Difference.
Michael Baker International is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Michael Baker International provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment. Michael Baker International maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. As a covered federal contractor, Michael Baker International is required to comply with Executive Order 14042, Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, and its implementing guidelines. If the federal vaccine mandate is found to be valid and enforceable, this will include ensuring that all covered employees are fully vaccinated for COVID-19, except in limited circumstances where there is a legal entitlement to an accommodate. In addition, you may be subject to current or future state or local COVID-19 vaccine mandates that could become a condition of your employment based upon your work location or involvement on a project. Accordingly, Michael Baker encourages you to provide satisfactory proof that you are “fully vaccinated” for COVID-19 so as to ensure compliance with any potential applicable federal, state, or local laws. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified and all will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.
EEO is the Law. Applicants to and employees of Michael Baker International are protected under Federal law from discrimination.