Date: Apr 16, 2022
Location: Oak Ridge, TN, US, 37830
Company: Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Requisition Id: 7098
The Biodiversity and Sustainable Systems Section (BSSS) within the Environmental Sciences Division (http://www.esd.ornl.gov), at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL, http://www.ornl.gov), is seeking a senior thought leader in the field of hydraulics engineering to support ORNL’s long-term water power technologies research and development (R&D) efforts. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who have strong experience, vision, and publication records in the frontier of national/international riverine hydropower and marine energy R&D efforts. The senior leader will help guide the direction of major water power R&D initiatives, interact with a diverse set of stakeholders, and collaborate with interdisciplinary researchers in the fields of hydrology, power system, ecology, and environmental economics. The candidate will benefit from the unique capabilities at ORNL and is expected to develop cutting-edge research for clean, renewable, and sustainable future energy.
ESD is an interdisciplinary research and development organization with more than 60 years of achievement in local, regional, national, and international environmental research. Our vision is to expand scientific knowledge and develop innovative strategies and technologies that will strengthen the nation’s leadership in creating solutions to help sustain the Earth’s natural resources. Our researchers conduct research, develop technology, and perform analyses to understand and assess responses of environmental systems at the environment-human interface and the consequences of alternative energy and environmental strategies.
- Guide the ORNL water power technologies R&D strategies that integrates ORNL research capabilities in environmental science, computational modeling and simulation, sensors and controls, turbine-generator design, advanced manufacturing science and technology, and advanced materials.
- Enhance, develop, and sustain working relationships between ORNL researchers and the broad water power community, including sponsors of water power R&D, energy/water stakeholders, and policy influencers.
- Mentor ORNL early-career and mid-career research staff in the development and execution of water power science and technology research.
- Lead the research partnerships with industrial and academic entities.
- Publish high-quality, impactful, peer-reviewed publications.
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
- 10 years of post-PhD (or 15 years of post-MS) experience.
- Advanced degree in engineering, physics, or related discipline.
- Experience in an interdisciplinary research environment integrating water power resource characterization, environmental impact science, and machine design and modeling.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills are required.
- Strong record of productive and creative research, demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific conferences
- Capability of working collaboratively in a team environment and interacting effectively with a broad range of colleagues across both national and international institutions
- Applications should include a cover letter, current CV, and a list of at least three references.
- ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
- For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at https://jobs.ornl.gov
- UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email [email protected]
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.