Requisition ID: req27429
Job Title: Environmental Health/ WASH Coordinator
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Juba, South Sudan
The IRC has been operating in South Sudan since 1989 and currently operates in Northern Bahr el Ghazal, Lakes, Unity and Central Equatorial states. Currently, IRC South Sudan implements health, nutrition, economic recovery and development (food security and livelihoods), women’s protection and empowerment and child protection programming.
Summary statement of responsibilities:
The Environmental Health/WASH Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the implementation of all Environmental Health/WASH programming supported by the IRC in South Sudan. She/he will provide technical and strategic leadership to Environmental Health program and ensure that programming is of high quality and respond to immediate needs of the affected population. This position is based in in Ajoung Thok with regular travel to other field sites, and reports to the Deputy Director of Programs.
Responsibilities: The Environmental Health WASH Coordinator shall:
• Coordinate with the Deputy Director of Programs to develop and implement a response to assessed Environmental Health/WASH needs, which is in accordance with the country program strategic plan.
• Oversight of the technical aspects of the implementation and coordination of the Environmental Health/WASH program.
• Ensure that all IRC South Sudan Environmental Health/WASH projects are implemented in a timely and professional manner, according to established objectives, goals, and indicators and in line with donor requirements and beneficiary needs
• Lead the Environmental Health/WASH teams in the development, implementation, and monitoring of work plans, ensuring that activities reflect the commitments IRC made to the donor and the community.
• Ensure all implementation approaches employ a programming strategy that integrates with other sectors and contributes towards the broader health outcomes.
• Continuously design and improve technical approaches and protocols that are geared towards improvement of program quality.
• Take lead of the IRC South Sudan Country Strategy Action Plan Environmental Health/WASH implementation commitments and report on milestones
• Support Environmental Health/WASH teams in technical designs, development of cost estimates, technical specifications and overall documentation packaging for all Environmental Health/WASH infrastructure and hygiene behavior change and community engagement activities.
Reporting and proposal development
• Ensure the timely submission of information for internal and donor reports for all Environmental Health program activities, including reporting against the logical framework.
• In accordance with the country program strategic plan, IRC program framework and IRC Environmental Health strategies, lead the development of Environmental Health sections in new funding opportunities, including developing logical frameworks.
• Lead and coordinate the development of Environmental Health budgets, including when required the revision and realignment of existing budgets.
• Review all reports and proposals prepared by Environmental Health/WASH staff, provide appropriate feedback to the teams, and ensure that reports are submitted in a timely manner and with acceptable quality.
• Ensure all Environmental Health program activities are delivered within acceptable budget thresholds.
• Support Environmental Health/WASH teams in developing spending plans and tracking of the same against actual spending monthly.
• Monitor Budget vs. Actual expenditure for Environmental Health/WASH programs monthly. Ensuring timely corrective action is taken to address any variances.
• Actively participate in Grant Management Meetings and ensure resulting actions are followed up.
Monitoring & Evaluation
• Select and implement appropriate monitoring and evaluations systems, analyzing results to ensure and enhance program effectiveness and quality.
• Evaluate field needs for technical interventions and make recommendations as needed.
• Ensure all Environmental Health/WASH programs operate appropriate client voice and response mechanism.
Staff Management & Development
• Mentor, support and coach Environmental Health/WASH managers in the Environmental Health Program.
• Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
Coordination & Representation
• In coordination with the Deputy Director of Programs, establish contacts with relevant international/local NGOs and line ministries.
• Regularly attend WASH cluster meetings and represent the IRC in other similar/relevant forums.
• Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
• Liaise regularly with the relevant HQ technical units.
• Proven technical skills with a university degree in civil/environmental engineering or related field
• Minimum 5 years professional technical experience in Environmental Health, WASH or equivalent
• Minimum 3 years’ experience, in a in a humanitarian setting (refugee camps and/or emergency response)
• Demonstrated experience in technical design of water supply systems, sanitation infrastructure, wastewater and sewerage systems, and health care waste management systems.
• Strong project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Good written and verbal skills in the English language. Arabic is not required however it would be a distinct advantage.
• Strong leadership and management skills.
• Must be comfortable in being a proactive member of the senior management team. Must have a proven track-record of proactively identifying and communicating potential problems and proposing solutions.
• Must be able to function effectively in a complex work environment and to set appropriate priorities and deal effectively with competing priorities and pressure
• Ability to carry out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support.
• Must possess high cultural and gender awareness and sensitivity including excellent interpersonal communication skills and professional patience and be able to interact, partner and thrive in a diverse environment.
• Committed to staff training and development and effective at facilitation
• Competent in Windows, MS office programs, AutoCAD (or similar computer aided design), email and database experience
• Commitment to the IRC’s mission, purpose, and values.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in The IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Work Environment: There is active conflict in parts of the country and a possibility of the conflict expanding into other locations. The situation in Juba is currently quiet, however its remains unpredictable. Security will be thoroughly discussed during the interview process.
Housing: Lodging in Jamjang is in shared IRC guesthouse. All IRC sites have electricity and internet. Food is the individual’s responsibility.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, IRC considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability. #LI-GR2