- Job number: SRH04794
- Domaine de competence: Water Sanitation and Hygiene promotion
- Statut: Salarié
- Type de poste: Overseas missions
- Country: Myanmar (Burma)
- Contract Type: Short term contract
ABOUT THE MISSION
Desired start date: 01/06/22
Duration of the mission: 6 months, potentially renewable
Location: Sittwe, Rakhine state
SI is currently mainly operating in Rakhine and in Kachin States with outreach emergency capacities through its local partners in Chin, Sagaing and Magway States. The operations are supported by the Coordination team based in Yangon.
While continuing to support the vulnerable communities suffering from a long-term protracted crisis, SI is also developing a stronger and more responsive Emergency component, either directly or through local partners, to tackle the growing needs spreading across the country.
In 2022, 13 international staff and 298 national staff are working with SI Myanmar to implement projects focusing on Wash, FSL and Emergency response. Projects are ranging from immediate life-saving response (Water Scarcity in Rakhine, Emergency response to new displacements etc.) to the search for more sustainable solutions to protracted crisis (handover to communities and local organizations, capacity-building, community empowerment etc.).
SI’s main donors are FCDO, ECHO, CIAA, CDCS and UN agencies. The forecast mission budget for 2022 is EUR 6 million.
To learn more about the Myanmar mission, please click here.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Rakhine base has 2 main locations of activities: Sittwe camps- SIT (under FCDO funding) and Pauktaw camps – PKT (under UNICEF, ECHO, CDC, UNOPS multi-funding). The main activities fall under the WASH sector with a few FSL sectors in a limited number of camps.
In 2022, the main programs on-going in Rakhine Pauktaw area are:
- Emergency WASH assistance to vulnerable populations affected by conflicts in Pauktaw Township.
- Multi sector integrated response through water, sanitation, hygiene services, food, non-food items with access to livelihood opportunities for vulnerable populations affected by protracted crisis.
- Response to new and protracted crises affecting internally displaced persons living in protracted displacement camps and recently displaced conflict affected persons through integrated multi-sector assistance and community engagement.
- WASH intervention in protracted crisis.
This position is based in Sittwe, Rakhine State. The PM is responsible only for the activities in Pauktaw (PKT).
The implementation of the WASH program is split between the WASH Program Manager and the Community Mobilization Program Manager, who will work closely together as well as with other departments (MEAL, finance, logistics, etc.) to implement a complete WASH response in Pauktaw.
The WASH PM will manage the construction and maintenance of WASH infrastructure, including water supply and treatment, latrines, fecal sludge management (FSM), solid waste management, drainage, etc. The Community Mobilization PM manages community consultations about WASH facilities and services, hygiene promotion and behavior change programming, solid waste management staff, and the distribution of essential hygiene items to create an enabling environment for positive hygiene behaviors. Regular communication and collaboration are required between the two teams for a smooth implementation, and both PMs should have good knowledge of both “hard” and “soft” WASH components, which are both critical for an effective WASH program.
Main tasks and responsibilities
On a daily basis, the WASH PM is responsible for:
- project relevance, quality and design;
- implementation and operational monitoring;
- learning and capitalization;
- reporting / communication / representation;
- staff management.
More specifically, she/he:
- Leads the implementation of the WASH programs in Pauktaw, including financial and logistics coordination and follow up.
- Provides technical WASH expertise to solve complex and time-sensitive problems.
- Represents the programs, coordinate and communicate frequently with sub-national WASH Cluster, TWGs, other service providers, and with donors
- Provides timely reports of activities to multiple donors and to SI coordination in Yangon.
The WASH PM reports to the Deputy Field Co for Programs on the Sittwe base, as well as to the WASH coordination in Yangon.
- Multi-Grants management
- High level of external representation expected
- HR management: the Pauktaw team is composed of approx. 50 persons.
- Access issues and challenges
- High level of technicity required
University diploma (BA, MA) in WASH and/or Engineering.
- 3 years of international experience, preferably in emergency and recovery contexts.
- 1 year of experience in similar position.
- Previous experience of project management in INGO / humanitarian fields mandatory.
- Proven experience in team management and in training / capacity building.
- Experience in remote work and management mandatory.
+ Experience in complex ethnic and/or religious contexts preferred, sensitive environments (post-conflict, conflict), IDP/refugee camp experience a plus.
+ Experience in developing projects for semi-permanent settlements a plus.
+ Previous experience with SI is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with construction of WASH infrastructure.
- Water quality testing.
- Fecal sludge management.
- WASH and community engagement programming experience.
- Public health.
- Team management, coaching and capacity building.
- Monitoring and evaluation.
- Report writing.
- Strategic thinking.
- Ability to quickly understand complex situations and to coordinate both emergencies and long-term programs.
- Sound knowledge in assisting behavioral change methods and approaches including BCC, ABC etc.
- Knowledge and experience in applying and training in WaSH approaches (PHAST, CHAST, CLTS).
- Autonomy, proactivity, is able to take initiatives
- Capacity building of team members
- Major organization capacities
- Team management
- Excellent listening skills
- Patience, diplomacy, flexibility
Bilingual in English + Capacity to work with non-native English speakers.
+ French and Burmese are a plus.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried position
According to experience, starting from EUR 1980 gross / per month (EUR 1800 base salary, gross / month + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) + a monthly Per Diem of USD 500.
SI covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
The WASH PM – PKT lives in a shared guesthouse with the other international colleagues.
During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every 3 months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3, 6 and 9 months (with USD 850 allocated by SI). In addition to these, SI adds 1 additional rest day per month of work, i.e. 12 additional days off for a one-year contract.
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which covers all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system, including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Sittwe is the capital of the Rakhine state, and is located 1 hour away (by flight) from Yangon. The weather is classified as a tropical monsoon climate. There is access to basic health care in Sittwe, as well as to a restaurants and a few supermarkets where people can buy all basic items.
The guesthouses are comfortable (with a large common area, private bathrooms in some rooms, AC in all rooms) and a proper kitchen area in each. They are equipped with basic furniture (beds, tables, cupboards…) and mosquito nets, bed linen, towels and fans.
The office is located 5 minutes from the guesthouses by car.
Both are equipped with good internet connection.
Please note that the current political situation and security context is very volatile, but SI monitors it daily, in order to ensure the security of all staff.
Please note that the COVID 19 pandemic can impact the movements (flights and visa issuance). At the moment, please note there is a several-months delay to get in country.
Safety and security rules are regularly reviewed and adapted to the situation, to minimize the exposure to the COVID 19, in constant monitoring and adaptation to the context evolution. This include social distancing, teleworking and strict hygienic rules, such as regular handwashing etc.
Please note that SI strongly recommends its staff to get the vaccination against COVID 19, using WHO-approved vaccines. If possible, the vaccination should be done before departure, in order to reduce the future logistical constraints once on the field (administration of the 2nd / 3rd dose within a certain time frame).
Please send us your CV and cover letter in English.
If you have already been technically validated for SI on the position, please mention it.
NB: the vacancy may close before the deadline.
To learn more about SI, please visit our website.