- Job number: SRH04795
- Domaine de competence: Water Sanitation and Hygiene promotion
- Statut: Salarié
- Type de poste: Overseas missions
- Country: Myanmar (Burma)
- Contract Type: Short term contract
ABOUT THE MISSION
Desired start date: August 2022
Duration of the mission: 1 year
Location: Yangon with frequent visits to the field bases (up to 50%)
SI is currently mainly operating in Rakhine and in Kachin States with outreach emergency capacities through its local partners in Chin, Sagaing and Magway States. The operations are supported by the Coordination team based in Yangon.
While continuing to support the vulnerable communities suffering from a long-term protracted crisis, SI is also developing a stronger and more responsive Emergency component, either directly or through local partners, to tackle the growing needs spreading across the country.
In 2022, 13 international staff and 298 national staff are working with SI Myanmar to implement projects focusing on Wash, FSL and Emergency response. Projects are ranging from immediate life-saving response (Water Scarcity in Rakhine, Emergency response to new displacements etc.) to the search for more sustainable solutions to protracted crisis (handover to communities and local organizations, capacity-building, community empowerment etc.).
SI’s main donors are FCDO, ECHO, CIAA, CDCS and UN agencies. The forecast mission budget for 2022 is EUR 6 million.
To learn more about the Myanmar mission, please click here.
ABOUT THE JOB
The WASH coordinator, as the WASH head of department and the WASH technical advisor of the mission, contributes to the development of SI’strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of WASH.
- He/she specifically guarantees the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of WASH activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations.
- He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of WASH programs implemented in the intervention country.
- He/she contributes to the process of capitalization and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques in the field of WASH.
Line manager: Deputy Country Coordinator for Programs
Functional manager: HQ Program manager
Functional report(s): All program managers related to his/her sector and Deputy Field Coordinator in Sittwe
- Strategic orientation (mission level)
- Relevance and quality of projects (all)
- Coordination, technical support and operational monitoring
- Capitalizing and lessons learnt
- Team and people management
- Reporting / communication / representation
There is a high level of external representation: WASH Cluster, MHM Working Group, Strategic Advisory Group of WASH Cluster, as well as regular meetings with the donors, local actors and other NGO.
Priorities for the first months:
- S/he will identify the training needs of SI WASH teams in both bases and Local Partners and will organize technical training as needed.
- S/he will provide support for the ongoing handover process of some of the camps to local partner in Kachin.
- S/he will provide support for new national WASH PM in Kachin.
- S/he will provide WASH support for the emergency responses.
University level degree, preferably a Master degree in Water Sanitation and Hygiene related sector, Engineering, Environment and/or Geology.
- Minimum 3 years’ professional work experience in a coordinator role in managing teams (including by remote control) + specific WASH experience.
- Significant previous experiences in emergency contexts and protracted crises.
- Experience in conducting technical assessment and project evaluation.
- Significant experience in an English-speaking environment.
- Experience in remote work and remote management
- Previous experience in South Asia
- Experience in capacity building and handover to local partners a plus.
- Experience with dealing with host country national project managers a plus.
- Previous experience with SI
Technical skills and knowledge
- WASH programming experience;
- Team management and capacity building;
- Monitoring and evaluation;
- Report and proposal writing;
- Strategic thinking;
- Able to quickly understand complex situations and to coordinate both emergencies and long-term programs;
- Technical knowledge on faecal sludge management, water distribution systems, behaviour change approach;
- Experience in social water management, participatory methods and community engagement in tensed community context.
- Autonomy, proactivity, is able to take initiatives
- Capacity building of team members
- Major organization capacities
- Team management
- Excellent listening skills
- Patience, diplomacy, flexibility
- Stress and workload management
Bilingual in English + Capacity to work with non-native English speakers.
French and Burmese are a plus.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried position
According to experience, starting from EUR 2 640 gross per month (EUR 2 400 gross per month + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) i.e. + a monthly Per Diem of USD 700 per month.
SI covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every 3 months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3, 6 and 9 months (with USD 850 allocated by SI).
In addition to these, SI adds 1 additional rest day per month of work, i.e. 12 additional days off for a one-year contract.
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which covers all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system, including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
The climate is hot and wet tropical. It can be cold on the bases during December – February period.
Please note that the current political situation and security context is volatile, but SI monitors it daily and adapts its procedures in order to ensure the security of all staff.
Please note that the current political situation and security context is very volatile, but SI monitors it daily, in order to ensure the security of all staff.
Please note that the COVID 19 pandemic can impact the movements (flights and visa issuance). At the moment, please note there is a several-months delay to get in country.
Safety and security rules are regularly reviewed and adapted to the situation, to minimize the exposure to the COVID 19, in constant monitoring and adaptation to the context evolution. This include social distancing, teleworking and strict hygienic rules, such as regular handwashing etc.
Please note that SI strongly recommends its staff to get the vaccination against COVID 19, using WHO-approved vaccines. If possible, the vaccination should be done before departure, in order to reduce the future logistical constraints once on the field (administration of the 2nd / 3rd dose within a certain time frame).
Please send us your CV and cover letter in English.
If you have already been technically validated for SI on the position, please mention it.
NB: the vacancy may close before the deadline.
To learn more about SI, please visit our website.