The Senior WASH Program Manager – will provide overall managerial & technical support to all projects related to WASH in LVIV Response Office, The Senior WASH Program Manager is responsible for the planning and implementation of all WASH project’s activities and with support from WASH TA and DTL Ops, she/he will work closely with the programme implementation team and ensure high quality programme implementation both in WASH in community/camp and WASH in Collection Centre/Community and institutions specially Health care Facilities/Schools/Community Centre. He/she represent SC Response Team in front of WASH partners in the field and as necessary will participate in WASH WG. He/she will work with other sector’s staff and field teams to support Field level advocacy on WASH.
As part of SC’s dual mandate, the Senior WASH Program Manager will participate in emergency preparedness activities and be ready to respond in the event of an emergency, as required.
SCOPE OF THE ROLE:
Reports to: DTL ops / Head of operations
Staff Technically reporting to this post
Direct: WASH coordinators
Indirect: Engineer Officer & Hygiene Promotion officer,Engineer Assistants, Hygiene Promotion Assistants, Daily Workers
Budget Responsibilities: YES, tracking of budget and expenditure based on monthly plans (Responsible for managing the direct WASH project components of program budget).
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Program Planning and Implementation
- With supports from WASH TA/ DTL OPS, develop, implement and monitor monthly activity plans to achieve expected results. This includes planning of activities, budgets and procurement.
- Ensure that all planned activities are implemented on time, to quality measures and within budget as per the monthly plan. Where challenges arise, ensure that these are flagged early, communicated to the WASH TA/ DTL OPS and addressed in an appropriate and timely way.
- Technically lead program activities especially training and ensure that they are being implemented within SC’s and international quality standards to have integrated outcomes.
- Coordinate across different sector’s program activities to ensure that they are synchronized in a logical order.
- Lead the preparation of all procurement and administrative documents required for program implementation.
- Participate effectively through the regular awards review meetings
- Assist technically the WASH Specialist/Advisor, towards adapting hygiene promotion training manuals to specific local context both at community and school levels; including identification of key hygiene promotion activities as per the context.
- Coordinate rehabilitation works in health facilities, schools, TLSs, CFSs and communities including design and supervision of work contracts ensuring that they are completed in time and within budget.
- Work with other team members of save the children (WASH and non-WASH) working in the same communities/ camps, to ensure the integration and complementarity of the different sector of the intervention.
- Technically support the engineers to supervise contractors to ensure work is completed as per the specification, safety standards and SCI construction policy, is within budget and is signed off by the appropriate authority in timely manner.
- Regular field visits to the operational sites at least 25%-30% of the working hours for the close supervision of the ongoing operation in the field and to make sure that feet SCI`s policies, roles and regulations.
- Monthly review of the warehouse tracker and accordingly send the required feedback to the Log team to make sure that everything on track and cleared before the closing of the grants.
- Supporting the WASH team in developing appropriate immediate and longer-term WASH response plan and strategy. Develop and outline strategy for longer-term WASH (host communities and IDPs)
- Contribute in strengthen coordination and integration among Health and Nutrition, Education, CP, FSL, Shelter /Infra programmes and develop ideas for integration of hygiene promotion activities with health and nutrition interventions including adopting learning from previous WASH responses/hygiene promotion activities.
Staff supervision and Capacity Building/mentorship
- Supervise and mentor direct reports ensuring that they are empowered to achieve their performance objectives and program results
- Conduct performance reviews of direct reports and support them to set performance objectives
- Build capacity of direct reports in technical and administrative areas
- Identify any staffing issues (day-to-day management and/or technical issues) and coordinate closely with the Area Manager to resolve them.
- Support WASH specialist on build the capacity of the WASH staff through different types of trainings for WASH/Managerial aspects.
- Where and when required, review proposal, outputs and indicators, budgets and BvAs with the WASH team to ensure timely delivery of programmes
- Identify capacity gaps and opportunities for WASH staff according their regular performance evaluation and support as per the resources available.
Assessment, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensure that all program data is properly and regularly collected by field staff, check data and ensure that it is logically presented to the DTL OPS and/or WASH Specialist/Advisor,
- Contribute to the preparation of internal and external reports.
- Lead on and complete bi-weekly sitrep reports and data to feed into the monthly MEAL reports (OT & IPTT).
- Participate in team reviews of results and program progress.
- Undertake and lead rapid assessments in emergencies and standard surveys and generate quality assessment and survey reports
- Assist and support in reviewing quality benchmark and reports
- Support field teams and partners to carry out regular monitoring to measure and report on achievement and progress towards project objectives and results.
- Carry out field monitoring visits to document observations and experiences and share them with Area Manager and WASH Specialist/Advisor, Contribute to internal and external reporting including sitreps and other MEAL related activities.
- Work with MEAL team to ensure that WASH field staff have capacity and supported to carry out the tasks. With support from the MEAL team put in place a MEAL plan to ensure links to reporting requirements, and capacity build WASH field staff in carrying out the work.
- Ensure the WASH programme mapping plan updated as needed according the new awards and invalid awards
- With support from the Accountability lead ensure accountability mechanism in place to collect client’s feedback regularly and ensuring that feedback from children and their families is considered in project design.
Representation and Advocacy
- Represent Save the Children and the program with government and non-governmental agencies to explain the program secure their support and follow up with them on progress.
- Actively participate and play a leadership role in the office Coordination Team bringing key issues, proposing solutions and collaborating with other teams to build synergies and efficiencies.
- Support our advocacy, media and communication focal management in documentation best practices and lessons learned in the course of the programme implementation.
- Monitor the capacity building and community mobilization activities, advocacy sessions for quality assurance and prepare review reports with recommendations for continuous quality improvement in collaboration with MEAL team
Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Actively participate in the Country Office’s emergency preparedness and planning processes as requested.
- In case of emergency, be prepared to contribute to the delivery of an appropriate and timely response.
- Deliver results in line with the current proposals and Save the Children’s strategy
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
- Perform such other responsibilities as agreed with line management
FOR EMERGENCY ROSPONSE
- Promote children’s rights by contributing to their well-being and protection in times of emergencies, guided by humanitarian principles and code of conduct.
- During emergencies you should act to facilitate SCI’s emergency response process by prioritizing all actions under your responsibility in the areas of finance, logistics, programs and services.
- Be prepared to support SCI interventions in response to emergencies and can move anywhere in the country.
- Ensure program staff are providing all beneficiaries with ongoing and age-appropriate oral or written information in relevant languages about the Child Salvation Policy and Code of Conduct.
Ensure that children’s activities are safe for children and that all steps are taken to ensure their meaningful and safe participation.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (VALUES IN PRACTICE):
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in management of water and sanitation (management of committees of water and sanitation and supervision of building and rehabilitation of wells and borehole),
- Understanding and Commitment in Child Safeguarding and child rights,
- Work experience in emergency programs preferable in the water and sanitation sector,
- Large experience in training and facilitation capacities at community level in the committees of water management
- Experience in Budget Control and project development with major focus in WASH
- Good human resource management skills
- Work experience with local partners, government and organization based in the community.
- University degree in Environmental health, Civil Engineering, or any other relevant field.
- Excellent abilities in planning, implementing and monitoring different activities
- Capacity to work in team/high level of motivation, responsibility and dedicated to the tasks/ capacity to communicate with others and motivate then/ willing to new ideas,
- Be humble with the community, colleagues and other people that will be in contact with Save the Children
- Be ethical in your work. Be dynamic, innovative and creative
- Be focused and oriented to the outcomes,
- Capacity to work under pressure and disponibility to work when needed
- Strong written and oral communication abilities in English language is required.
- Have knowledge in computing (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, email, Autocad, GIS, Internet and other
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector. This Role is offered on the basis of International terms and conditions. Also, interviews will be held on ongoing basis, adverts will be closed once a person is identified.
For non- EU citizens; Visa is to be obtained.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Closing Date: May 16, 2022