Water and Conservation Educator
Professional & Scientific
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of related experience
MS in water resources, water resources management, agriculture and biosystems engineering, agronomy (with emphasis on water quality practices), environmental sciences or comparable area
Experience with conservation, water quality and natural resources education and development for adult and youth audiences
Experience and demonstrated knowledge of Midwest agriculture, water quality issues, conservation and wildlife concerns
Field work experience
Experience with R, SAS, SPSS, or some other statistical analysis tool
Ability to drive truck and haul a trailer
Iowa State University seeks a water quality-focused scientist or engineer to serve as a Water and Conservation Educator with two innovative and award-winning outreach programs: Iowa Learning Farms, centered around conservation outreach to farmers and landowners, and Water Rocks!, centered around K-12 youth education and outreach. The Water and Conservation Educator will translate complex science into effective outreach that engages Iowans on issues of water, soil health, in-field and edge-of-field conservation practices via farmer field days, community outreach events with the fleet of Conservation Station trailers, and school visits. The Water and Conservation Educator will conduct on-farm field research on cover crops, edge-of-field practices and other water quality-related practices, and assist in the development and testing of farmer-scientist kits. The ideal candidate will have in-depth knowledge of Midwest agricultural systems, experience in water quality and conservation outreach, and an educational background (MS preferred) in water resources, water resources management, agricultural and biosystems engineering, agronomy (with specific emphasis on water quality practices), environmental sciences or comparable fields.
Example of Duties
- Serve as a water quality and conservation subject matter specialist at farmer field days.
- Deliver high-energy, high impact presentations in school settings, providing K-12 outreach on natural resources topics including water, soil, wildlife, and ecosystems.
- Conduct on-farm field research and assessments on cover crops, edge-of-field practices and other water quality issues, and lead in the development and testing of farmer-scientist kits.
- Assist in the recruitment of farmer partners for on-farm demonstrations including in-field and edge-of-field conservation practices.
- Translate complex scientific knowledge into various displays and outreach materials including infographics, fact sheets, blogs, e-newsletters, and social media posts related to water quality and natural resources.
- Support program evaluation through data entry and reporting in MyData.
• Intermediate-level position with solid professional and/or technical skills working under general supervision to achieve goals
• Applies broad, working knowledge of the principles of the field to moderately complex, difficult, and varied problems and issues
• Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action and resolve problems
• Responds to a broad range of inquiries and requests
• May provide training and/or direction to lower-level staff
• May lead projects of moderate scope and complexity
• Provides guidance to students
Regular with Term Appointment (Fixed Term)
Proposed End Date or Length of Term:
May 31, 2023
Number of Months Employed Per Year:
12 Month Work Period
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae
2) Letter of Application/Cover Letter
3) Contact Information for Three References
If you have questions regarding this application process, please email [email protected] or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Why Choose ISU?
Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:
• Retirement benefits including defined benefit and defined contribution plans
• Generous vacation, holiday and sick time and leave plans
• Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa)
• Life insurance and long-term disability
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Various voluntary benefits and discounts
• Employee Assistance Program
• Wellbeing program
• This job may also be eligible for flexible work schedules and flexible workplace options that may include flexible working hours and a hybrid working environment.
Original Posting Date:
April 18, 2022
Posting Close Date:
May 9, 2022
Job Requisition Number: