Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector. As a not-for-profit, independent research institute based in North Carolina, USA, RTI has roughly 5,000 employees with global experience implementing international development projects. RTI’s Sustainable Growth & Resilience (SG&R) technical unit within the International Development Group brings together RTI experts and capabilities across food security, agriculture, energy, environment, water, governance, and economic opportunity. SG&R will leverage RTI’s experience designing and delivering multisectoral programming and technical solutions to respond to climate change, build resilience, and promote economic growth around the world.
SG&R’s Water portfolio has delivered innovative, breakthrough solutions in key development sectors, including water sector governance, water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) services, pollution, urbanization, economic livelihood development, community engagement, and institutional capacity building. Our work spans the Africa continent with a growing presence in South Asia.
RTI International is recruiting for a Senior Manager, Urban Resilience. This person will implement technical tasks and assignments, conduct research and lead or contribute to business development and technical proposal writing. This will be a senior -level technical position for the group, and the incumbent will have the opportunity to perform technical assistance, manage programs, lead business development, and conduct research while working collaboratively with the water division and other SG&R staff. The work will entail supporting a growing portfolio of international development projects working primarily in urban resilience covering city/town planning to service delivery to emergency preparedness with attention to multi-sector constraints and opportunities in governance (including private-public sector partnerships, market-based systems), climate resilience (adaption and mitigation, green infrastructure, nature-based solutions), water security (including water resources, water supply and water demand management), sanitation and hygiene, and solid waste management.
This position will report to the Water Services Director and would be based in Washington, DC, or the Research Triangle Park, North Carolina (RTI headquarters). Telecommuting will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The position will be expected to travel internationally up to 25% of the time when COVID restrictions are lifted. Candidates must be authorized to work in the US.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead or support technical tasks, which may include leading/contributing to project assessments, reviewing technical inputs for accuracy and quality control, and supporting field-level implementation.
- Contribute to the growth of the division by leading and/or supporting capture and proposal efforts.
- Lead and/or collaborate on and present results from in-depth technical research and analysis on key sectors to support business development and thought leadership (via articles, blogs, events and other outreach activities) such as on climate resilience, urban services delivery, solid waste management, nature-based solutions, market systems, private sector participation, financing and others.
- Serve as a technical contributor for business development activities through contributing to proposal solutioning, conceptualizing technical approaches, teaming strategies, partner negotiations.
- Lead or support project implementation from the home office, working with the Chief of Party, Program Manager and Water Services Director in the definition and execution of project activities; the development of plans, schedules, budgets and high-quality deliverables; and review of scope and deliverables by sub-contractors or sub-awardees
- Actively engage with various platforms, development partners, and sector players to leverage or establish potential partnerships as part of business development and thought leadership tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 15 years of experience, Master’s degree and 12 years of experience, PhD and 8 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience in urban planning/development, WASH, solid waste management, climate resilience and sustainability, environmental science/engineering, or other related fields.
- At least eight years of professional experience in the international development sector required, with experience with USAID-funded project preferred. Demonstrated experience and professional interest in one or more of the following areas: urban services, climate resilience, water security, urban service delivery, solid waste management and/or water resources management.
- Demonstrated experience leading business development efforts including experience with proposal capture, proposal management and/or proposal technical writing.
- Proven writing skills, such as technical proposals, academic or research assignments, or similar.
- Experience working as part of multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural teams in dispersed locations is a plus.
- Knowledge of urban services, climate and water resiliency, water security concepts and trends.
- Must work effectively under deadlines, both independently and as a team member.
- Must speak, read and write in English. Fluency in another language is a plus.
The anticipated pay range for this role is listed below. Our pay ranges represent national averages and may vary by location as a geographic differential may be applied to some locations within the United States.
RTI considers multiple factors when making an offer including, for example: established salary range, internal budget, business needs, and education and years of work experience possessed by the applicant. Further, salary is merely one element to our offer.
At RTI, we demonstrate our commitment to rewarding individual and team achievement through a total rewards package. This package includes (among other things) a competitive base salary, a generous paid time off policy, merit based annual increases, bonus opportunities and a robust recognition program. Other benefits include a competitive range of insurance plans (including health, dental, life, and short-term and long-term disability), access to a retirement savings program such as a 401(k) plan, paid parental leave for mothers and fathers, financial assistance with adoption expenses or infertility treatments, financial reimbursement for education and developmental opportunities, an employee assistance program, and numerous other offerings to support a healthy work-life balance.
- Maximum Salary: $128,000
- Minimum Salary: $105,000