Title: WASH Specialist – Engineer
Location: (Fafan/Jarar) Somali, Ethiopia
Employment Category: G2
Reporting To: WASH Manager
Start of Contract & Duration: 10 Months
Posting date: April 30, 2022
Required Employee: 1
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Under the direct supervision of the WASH team leader, WASH Specialist Engineer will be in charge of all technical activities related to WASH infrastructure and hygiene activities. She/he will ensure efficient and smooth implementation of the WASH projects in the targeted area.
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare plans, specifications, and cost estimates of the prioritized construction works;
- Make sure that all required preparations are in place for technical estimates, design, and resource management plan, prepare bid documents and support the project team for the bid selection;
- Implement effectively and within the time and budget of the WASH project as per the project proposals and project requirements.;
- Develop and review project designs to ensure compliance with relevant standards, procedures, and codes;
- Develop and review BOQs and technical specifications;
- Ensure that accurate and detailed records of project matters are formulated and kept;
- Conduct site assessments and surveys;
- Ensure as far as possible the security of the project, staff, and equipment;
- Coordinate with beneficiary leaders to ensure community participation and ownership;
- Advise on procurement needs and submit all procurement requests to the team leader;
- Provide on-site technical assistance to staff, contractors or service providers, and beneficiaries during the process of implementation, including management of construction activities;
- Prepare and submit regular progress reports and work plans to the WASH Manager;
- Collate data from the communities and local partners and prepare reports for submission to the WASH Team leader;
- Liaise with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working locally in order to coordinate within the WASH sector. This includes taking concerns regularly at every meeting with beneficiaries in the field and reporting as needed;
- Keep proper records of field expenditures when appropriate and report on these to the WASH Team leader;
- Coordinate and monitor water trucking tasks like the establishment of water distribution points; supply monitoring; quality monitoring; and reporting)
- Liaise with sanitation and hygiene officer/assistants for successful implementation of sanitation and hygiene activities as well as WASH NFI distribution
- Provide donor, government, and weekly 5W matrix report timely
- Represent DRC in WASH meetings and coordination platforms
- Carry out other related tasks as directed by the line management;
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master
DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in coordination and supervision of WASH construction projects
- Strong knowledge and experience in engineering and construction projects with related processes like tendering of works, monitoring of construction sites, etc.
- Knowledge and experience in GIS/GPS and AutoCAD
- Previous work experience in refugee/IDP settings and complex emergencies is an asset.
- Familiarity with the SPHERE Project and Minimum Standards
- Leadership and supervisory skills and ability to foster team spirit
- Strong organizational skills and ability to coordinate and manage a diverse array of activities and stakeholders
- Strong facilitation, negotiation, and mediation skills and ability to work independently
- Report writing skills and computer skills in word processing and spreadsheets. Skills in technical drawings software (preferably AutoCAD) and project management software are desirable.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong sense of security management and willingness to follow security guidelines and regulations
- Commitment to ensuring the protection of IDPs
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values
- Commitment to concern equal opportunity and gender practices
EDUCATION: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
- A University degree in Water Supply and Sanitation Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering, Water Resource or Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, or a directly related field.
LANGUAGE: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent skills in speaking, reading, and writing English.
- Knowledge of the Somali language is an advantage
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit an updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than May 14, 2022.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!