844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Sector Analyst’s main responsibilities are to support the project management and the build-out of the Sector Engagement Practice disciplines to power the department’s collaboration and influence capability-building remit to the Global Impact Department. The Senior Analyst is a crucial member of the Sector Engagement team and adds to the overall effectiveness and impact of Water.org by bringing high-performing project management skills, strategic insight, and execution excellence within a strong social entrepreneurial culture and team.
- Work with Senior Sector Analyst to keep the Senior Strategist informed of progress against key initiatives, identify opportunities, and troubleshoot coordination issues across the Sector Engagement Practice and Water.org country teams.
- Lead strategic department projects that support the execution of the Sector Engagement Practice strategy.
- Conduct regular research, analysis, and synthesis of information on sector trends and key partners and prospects.
- Monitor and report progress against initiatives and department goals; including conduct supportive partner and sector research, analysis, and synthesis as needed.
- Keep internal databases up-to-date with partnership relationship data.
- Provide operational support for initiatives led by Sector Engagement Practice team; including attending meetings, capturing and disseminate notes and action item summaries, providing briefing materials for high-level global roundtables and conference engagements.
- Provide operational support and process improvement by developing templates, tools and procedures that enhance coordination, communication and capability building with Water.org country offices and teams.
- Develop and maintain a current suite of partnership materials, including Partner Guides, PowerPoints and narrative 2-pagers in collaboration with department Relationship Managers.
- Support the Senior Sector Analyst with developing and maintaining Practice resources on SharePoint.
- Develop draft communications and presentations on behalf of the Senior Strategist, and conduct supportive research, analysis, and synthesis of information as needed.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Balances Stakeholders - Anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Manages Ambiguity - Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship - Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Directs Work – Providing direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done.
- Values Differences – Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Manages Conflict – Handling conflict situations effectively, with a minimum of noise.
- Develops Talent – Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Bachelor’s degree required in international development/politics, business, or other discipline requiring both strong analytical and presentation skills. Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in project management, particularly complex projects involving multiple steps and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to design, launch, and scale new projects and initiatives.
- Strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience analyzing and synthesizing complex data and presenting insights in a clear and compelling manner.
- Demonstrated success working across levels internally and externally; professionalism, strategic mindset and strong judgment required.
- Ability to coalesce disparate information and inputs into a concise path forward; demonstrated success in translating knowledge and context into action and outcomes.
- Demonstrated success in developing processes and process improvements that enhance team effectiveness.
- Entrepreneurial spirit; ability to work independently and know when to seek support.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated expert Office 365 skills, with special emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint
- Solid global orientation is required; experience working in matrixed global organizations.
- Previous international exposure and familiarity preferred.
- Understanding of and passion for financial markets, international development, and/or water and sanitation preferred.
- May require up to 10% domestic and international travel to support department meetings, events, and site visits.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement. Salary will be based on education and experience, and will coincide with similar nonprofit organizations in international development.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.