- Salary: $39,006 (Step 01) to $50,707 (Step 10)
NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
As a Physical Scientist within the Upper Midwest Water Science Center, some of your specific duties will include:
- Uses a variety of methods and equipment to: collect hydrologic data including stage records for streams, lakes, and wells; collect and preserve water samples for the analysis of chemical, sediment, or biological characteristics; make discharge measurements; run levels to gages and wells.
- Checks discharge measurement computations; computes mean daily gage heights or prepares digital recorder tapes for computer processing; develops rating curves depicting the relationship between stage and discharge; and computes and compiles daily discharge values.
- Assists higher grade hydrologist on project work by performing duties such as: –
- Measuring flood peaks indirectly by using transits or levels;
- Collecting and logging geologic samples at well sites; observing well drilling operations, or, performing pump tests;
- Preparing graphic representation of hydrologic data by way of maps, charts, hydrographs, and frequency curves;
- Preparing changes to standard computer programs or spot-checking printouts to detect sources of errors.
- Determining the chemical or biological components of water for QW studies
- Install, troubleshoot and maintain scientific instruments as it relates to hydrology.
- Operates a government vehicle as an incidental driver.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The work requires some physical exertion and may require prolonged standing in the laboratory environment. Field assignments involve outdoor work where there is considerable walking and climbing over rough or mountainous terrain. Work performed in the laboratory may involve use of equipment which can result in exposure to dust, toxic chemicals, mechanical and electrical hazards, and noise. Special safety precautions are required including use of laboratory coats, safety glasses, dust masks, gloves, etc. Work in the field involves exposure to extreme outdoor weather conditions with exposure to poisonous growth and insects involving a high risk with exposure to dangerous situations.
Conditions of Employment
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
- The duration of the Recent Graduates appointment is a trial period.
- More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information.
- Selectee must provide a valid state driver’s license & safe driving record.
- Selectee subject to successful completion of a pre-employment medical exam.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- If selected you may be asked to provide information regarding your COVID-19 vaccination status for the purposes of implementing workplace safety protocols, such as those related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
- You will be required to operate a government-owned or -leased vehicle in the performance of your official duties.? Applicants for this position must meet the following requirements:?(1) possess a valid State license, and (2) possess a safe driving record.? If selected, you will be required to provide proof of a valid State license & a copy of your driving record.
- Taking and passing a pre-employment medical examination at Federal expense is required due to the physical demands of this job.
- Because this position requires travel for official business, the selectee will be required to apply for a charge card within 30 calendar days of appointment. Individuals who have delinquent account balances from a previous Government charge card will be required to satisfy their existing obligation before a new card can be issued.
- The Recent Graduate Program lasts for 1 year. Participants who successfully complete the Recent Graduate Program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent appointment or a term (1-4 years in duration) appointment without further competition.
- Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Recent Graduate Program you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a recent graduate who has completed, within the previous two years, an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution such as an accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum. Note: Certificate program is defined as post-secondary education in a qualifying educational institution equal to at least one academic year of full-time study that’s part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum; OR
- You must be currently enrolled in a qualifying degree program as described above AND expect to complete your degree requirements no later than June/ 2022. If you do not complete your degree requirements by June 2022 you will be ineligible for consideration under this program; OR
- Veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their 2-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty; however, eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed 6 years from the date on which the degree or certificate was obtained. The date of release or discharge from active duty should be later than the date the degree or certificate was obtained.
BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: Applicants must meet A or B below to satisfy the basic education requirement for Physical Scientist, all grade levels.
A. Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor’s or higher degree in physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours or the equivalent in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics.
B. A combination of education and experience–education equivalent to one of the majors shown in “A” above (24 semester hours or the equivalent in physical science, engineering, or mathematics) that included at least 24 semester hours or the equivalent in physical science and/or related engineering science as described above, plus appropriate experience and/or additional education for a total of 4 years. The education or combined education and experience must be comparable in type, scope and thoroughness to that acquired through successful completion of a 4-year course of study as described in “A” above.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: https://www.usgs.gov/about/organization/science-support/human-capital/how-foreign-education-evaluated-federal-jobs .
- This position is being filled under the Pathways Recent Graduate Program that affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs.
- Applicants who include vulgar, offensive, or inappropriate language or information in their application package will be ineligible for further consideration for this position.
- Identification of promotion potential in this announcement does not constitute a commitment or an obligation on the part of management to promote the employee selected at some future date. Promotion will depend upon administrative approval and the continuing need for and performance of higher-level duties.
- Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) may compete for civil service jobs. Agencies are permitted to hire non-citizens only in very limited circumstances where there are no qualified citizens available for the position.
- USGS employees are subject to Title 43, USC Section 31(a) and may not: (a) have any personal, private, direct or indirect interest in lands or mineral wealth of lands under survey; (b) have any substantial personal, private, direct or indirect interests in any private mining or mineral enterprise doing business with the United States; or (c) execute surveys or examinations for private parties or corporations.
- The application contains information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
- DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
- The Department of the Interior (DOI) places a high value on diversity of experience and cultural perspectives and encourages applications from all interested eligible candidates. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) are fundamental principles that guide the Department and allow us to successfully achieve our mission.
- THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
- USGS has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework in accordance with the DOI Telework policy and with supervisor approval. The official worksite for the selectee is the duty station identified in this vacancy announcement. The selectee will typically report to this duty location on a regular and recurring weekly basis.
- For additional information on our internal telework policy, please reference the Department of the Interior Telework Handbook at: https://www.doi.gov/telework/policies.
- Working for the U.S. Geological Survey offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; health, life, dental, vision, and long term care insurance, flexible spending accounts, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
–Basis of Rating: You will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of the position. If you meet the basic eligibility and qualification requirements, your on-line responses to the application questions will determine your placement in the appropriate quality group (i.e., Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified). These responses must be substantiated by the resume. Veterans’ preference rules apply.
–Vacancy Related Questions: As part of the online application process, you will need to respond to a series of questions designed to assess your knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies:
- Scientific Instrumentation
- Disseminate Data
- Collect Scientific Data
To preview the announcement questionnaire, click here https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11457663
Required documents may be: (1) uploaded directly from your desktop; or (2) uploaded directly from your USAJOBS stored attachments.
You are required to provide all unofficial transcripts (undergraduate, graduate, etc.) or list of course work, which includes semester hours earned, grade received, and the date that the degree/certificate was conferred, by the closing date of this announcement or you will be disqualified from further consideration. This proof may be faxed, document uploaded, or hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see “Required Documents” and/or “Contact Information”). Please ensure that all documentation is legible. If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts.
Future Graduates: Current transcripts documenting you are in your last semester/quarter of completing your degree/certificate requirements.
Veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation must submit documentation that confirms the period of active duty that kept them from applying during the typical 2-year eligibility period. The date of release or discharge from active duty should be later than the date the degree or certificate was obtained.
If you are claiming veterans’ preference you must provide a legible copy of your DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, member 4 copy or any official documentation or statement from the Armed Forces that confirms your dates of service and that your separation, discharge, or release from active duty was under honorable conditions (i.e., Honorable or General Discharge). Note: If you have more than one DD-214 for multiple periods of active duty, submit a copy for each period of service.
If you are currently on active military duty, you must provide documentation (e.g., campaign document, award citation, etc.), that verifies entitlement to veterans’ preference and that your character of military service is honorable.
If you are claiming 10-point veterans’ preference, in addition to the documents specified above, you must also submit documentation that supports your claim, e.g., an official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs (dated 1991 or later) or from a branch of the Armed Forces certifying the existence of a service-connected disability, or the award of the Purple Heart, etc. The overall rating must be identified on your certification letter or separation orders.
–Documentation must be received by the closing date shown in this vacancy announcement. If you fail to submit any of the required documentation, you will not be granted veterans’ preference. Additional information on veterans’ preference can be found in the VetGuide.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
How to Apply
–Applications (resume and application questions) for this vacancy must be received on-line via USAJOBS BEFORE midnight Eastern Time (Washington, D.C. time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete online resume, you will not be considered for this position. Requests for extensions will not be granted. Most libraries, employment offices, and all USGS personnel offices can provide access to the Internet. If applying online poses a hardship for you, you must speak to someone in the Servicing Human Resources Office listed on this announcement PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE for assistance.
–Instructions for Applying Online for this Vacancy Announcement: 1)Click the blue “Apply Online” button. 2)If you are not a registered USAJOBS user, please create a new account and follow the instructions to complete your application process. If you are a registered user, login to access your existing USAJOBS profile. 3)As a registered user, select a stored resume and select one or more of your stored documents to attach to your application. 4)Check the “Certification” box and click the “Apply for this position now!” button located at the bottom of the screen. 5)Address the eligibility questions as well as the questionnaire containing questions and/or task statements that address the knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies for this vacancy. 6)Submit required documents using one of the available methods listed below. 7) If you experience technical difficulties during the online application process, please contact the USAJOBS helpdesk.
Agency contact information
Email: [email protected]
UPPER MIDWEST WSC
12201 Sunrise Valley Drive
Mail Stop 600
Reston, VA 20192
USLearn more about this agency
–If you are one of the most highly qualified candidates, you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 30-45 days of the closing date of this announcement. You will be notified via email of the outcome. You can also go to “My Account” within USAJOBS to review your Application Status.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.